Wierd auto immune condition..anyone seen this?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Wierd auto immune condition..anyone seen this?

Postby irkenequine » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:25 pm

Story:

Foster failed my Bull Terrier. The next day, he's covered in hives :)

Having some vomiting episodes, normal temp but depressed personality and appetite. Do 1cc IM Benadryl and 2cc's (underdose) of Dex at my job (work for a surgical orthopedic vet). Palpate abdomen, no pain or blockage. One of the vets I work with suggests auto-immune.

Hives aren't touched, head to our regular vet the next day. Still emotionally depressed but taking treats. Not painful, or itchy. Sit with the vet and flip through books for awhile while we scratch our head. Give another dose of Dex, 3cc's this time and it seems to do the trick. We come to the conclusion it must have been an allergen in the environment. (I feed Taste of the Wild and there's been no dietary changes on his end.) My vets not UNCONVINCED it might not be because of his breed and something specific but she can't find anything in the books that matches his issue. No belly rashes, not hot itchy spots still, just lumps. She listens to him and says the way he's breathing almost sounds like a heart murmur, but she's convinced its just lung noise. Says she's seen one other case like this before of systemic, on-and-off hives and the only thing that worked for the owner was Zyrtec, so we started on 10 mg 2x daily (he's currently still taking it but its never helped a day.)

Next day, they're PRETTY much gone and we brush it off. A few days later theyre back again...now we're circling the wheals and tracking the larger ones to see if they come and go in the same places. So, my dog looks like a connect-the-dots disaster :eek:

Yesterday he's covered in them again, gets another boosting of Dex at my job and it wipes them out again. Both my reg vet and the vets I work with are in agreement they suspect auto-immune; potentially Lupus or rare forms of lymphoma. By all accounts he's FINE other than these lumps....theyre not painful, he's upbeat and happy, alert, great appetite. Which I suppose is the most frustrating part! They're obviously not normal, but isn't it nice to spend hundreds of bucks at the vet on a happy-tail wagging dog? We've considered steroids but apparently they can alter the biospy results (?or something, it was a phone-exchange in busy traffic) so they think biopsy first is the way to go.

Anyone have any experience with this? My regular vet of course finds this terribly fascinating as I already own another dog with an incredibly rare, "wow never seen this in my life!" skin condition so I'm SO thrilled to have added a second one to the family.

I'm really just venting all of this out, I don't expect a vet here to have an answer or something...just frustrated. it never ends!

The first day they showed up (while on vacation, of course).

Two nights ago, after they had dissapeared and re-appeared.

And just becuase I'm evil, Catfish with his head stuck in the scratching post (and to make the photo relevant, you can see where we've been drawing on him with the sharpie lol )
irkenequine
Newborn Bully

Re: Wierd auto immune condition..anyone seen this?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:38 am

I would recommend skin biopsies if they haven't been done already. Punch biopsies with local anesthetic should be more than adequate if he'll hold still for it.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Timas Mom » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:04 pm

I have

When gamble was bit by a spider he reacted for over a week.
Hives, then hives and interdigital cysts diarrhea and serious eye weeping (all his normal allergy signs tho NOTHING was changed)
No food or environmental changes.
Took 3 weeks for him to be back to normal.

Its been 5 months and he finally isnt ultra sensitive to any allergin.
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Yikes! Poor Catish :(
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby irkenequine » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:25 pm

Since my roommate and I are both techs, it'll be easy enough for us to convince him to hold still for a punch. Thats what we're having done next week...I am just very nervous about hte word 'lupus.'

Eeek Timas mom! Sorry to hear that about your baby...at least it went away. I'm crossing my fingers and HOPING the hives don't come back (theyre currently gone) and we can skip the biopsy and pretend the whole thing never happened. Somehow I doubt that will happen :(
irkenequine
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:31 am

Any update on this? I'm going through a similar issue with my foster pup and I'm wondering if you had any light to shed? Enzo has been on benadryl for a straight 36 hours, starting with an injection Friday night, which is only *just* keeping the hives under control.

I too work for a vet...lucky for Enzo and Catfish eh?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Jazzy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Not sure if this qualifies...but I have seen this...

We got a shot of something...maybe dex...not sure; then oral pred w/ antibiotics.

Now with an allergy injection every 14 to 20 days and occasional benadryl during her allergy season she is hive free. :)

I will say that when Veronica is very symptomatic with her allergies she has been known to either vomit - the yellow phlegmy stuff - or have diarrhea.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby tia_leigha » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:59 pm

Do a search on HIVES. You will find that a lot of us have been in your shoes.
In my experience with Dozer- his is seasonal allergies. He will get hives in the warm season. We kept him on benadryl for weeks, and eventually found that a low dose of prednizone (sp)/steroid kept the hives away! I hated keeping him on the steroid during the spring/summer, but he was comfortable.

Just like your dog he would wake up fine one day, and the next wake up covered in bumps/hives.

Also- we changed his food from Pedigree to Taste Of The Wild.
He has been on this food for 2 years, and we have had little to no hives at all during this time.

What is your dog currently eating? It is possible that he is having a food allergy!
Best of luck to you and you are not alone! This is gonna get better. :)

Keep us in the loop!
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:09 am

Here ya go!
Here is the link to the big thread about hives. :(

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=106050&hilit=hives
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Emmett (our Boxer) had these. After spending a day in the yard laying around. We thought it was an alergen or a spider. It went away w/ no medication or change in behavior. Just looked like bumps under his fur.

Best of luck
Lunchbucket
Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:44 pm

I think te difference here is that the hives didn't go away even with treatment, and when they did go, they came back quickly.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Jazzy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:26 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:I think te difference here is that the hives didn't go away even with treatment, and when they did go, they came back quickly.

When V. had severe hives; she always got the injection...but then she had an oral course of pred for several weeks (with a taper).

From reading the OP's post; it sounded like they didn't get the oral dose.

I'm not a medical person, so maybe it doesn't make that much of a difference or it shouldn't matter...but just thinking logically...I always thought the shot was a "loading dose" and then the oral course sort of "finished the job"... :dunno:
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Return to Health Issues