can dogs catch the flu or pneumonia from people?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

can dogs catch the flu or pneumonia from people?

Postby starrlamia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:36 am

May seem liked a weird Queston but i'm recovering from the flu and pneumonia. The dogs have both been showing signs if a cold, brie is stuffed up and Grendel has been coughing, any chance I gave it to them? They haven't been around any other dogs recently and neither have i...poor pups
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: can dogs catch the flu or pneumonia from people?

Postby irkenequine » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:16 am

No. Dogs can get upper respiratories, and allergy-induced sneezing or coughing, but don't catch 'flu bugs' or pneumonia in the same way people do. There ARE things we can pass back and forth, giardia is an example...but I think its just coincidence in your home. Hope everyone feels better!
irkenequine
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:07 am

Except for certain resistant bugs such as MRSP. We had two dogs die from Pnuemonia last year after being referred to OVC and the post mortems showed both had resistant bacterias that didn't respond to textbook treatments.

Not that I'm saying you have that or the dogs do, but there are some other things that are zoonotic and in our area.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby starrlamia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:51 am

doh, well i dont have mrsp thankfully, could be the weather it's been so all over the place. Hopefully they feel better in a few days!
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues