Food Allergies

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Food Allergies

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:01 am

We feed Boss part raw, and part Simply Nourish, wanted to move to a less expensive food so we started him on Authority. Big mistake, he is breaking out, itching badly. So we will be switching to another food, I have found a great store local to my University that has all of the well known brands but for cheaper prices. These are the brands we are looking at:
http://www.petsenseoutlet.com/dog?cat=172

We talked with the vet this morning and know to avoid grains and such, and stick to ingredients similar to SN. (This store doesnt carry SN). I just wanted to update my PBF family and see if anyone else has a dog with food allergies.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Re: Food Allergies

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:34 am

Looks like it is going to be Blue Buffalo for Boss Man. *sigh*
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby starrlamia » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:45 am

there are some good limited ingredient formulas, usually it's a protein they are allergic to and not neccessarily grains. Natural Balance has limited ingredient formulas and Acana has one as well.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:50 am

Does anyone feed Diamond brand?

I dont think it is the protein, both are chicken based and he had no problems on the first food, I could be wrong just going on what the vet said.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:51 am

It seems like it could be the corn, that is the only main ingredient that is off.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:31 pm

starrlamia wrote:there are some good limited ingredient formulas, usually it's a protein they are allergic to and not neccessarily grains. Natural Balance has limited ingredient formulas and Acana has one as well.

:goodpost:

We put Enzo on the sweet potato and fish formula. While I suspect his allergies are largely environmental, given that they showed up so early in his life, there's likely a food component too.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:26 pm

We got Blue Buffalo. What in the environment would be causing these allergies? He has never had them before??
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:48 pm

He's only a young'un right? Enzo likely never had them before either. They all start somewhere.
What BB formula dud you get? The top food allergies are wheat beef chicken soy and dairy so start by eliminating those. Also, to do a proper food trial, you have to consider everything that goes into his mouth. So no rawhide, no flavored meds, and treats that compliment the elimination diet food.

Common environmental allergens are grass, dust mites, wool, houseflies, cedar, mould, fungi, etc.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Also, regardless of what BB formula you're feeding, unless they're sterilizing their equipment between production of each individual formula, there's likely a risk of ingredient contamination.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:45 pm

I got BB puppy formula, we will try it out and see... Wonder if it could be the sweet potatoe rawhides? But he has had them before with no problems, and same rawhides with no problems, never reacted to chicken or beef... The only thing different in the food he reacted too was eggs and corn, alot ALOT of corn.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:43 am

The most common food allergens IN ORDER, are beef, chicken, dairy (milk, cheese etc), THEN corn and wheat. Corn and wheat are more likely to cause allergies than other grains because they are high in protein.

The immune system responds to proteins as invaders, thats how it is programmed. The immune system can respond to carbohydrates, but its very rare. It is impossible for the immune system to respond to sugars.

Simple immunology - proteins are the problem, not carbohydrates.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:43 am

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Also, regardless of what BB formula you're feeding, unless they're sterilizing their equipment between production of each individual formula, there's likely a risk of ingredient contamination.

Recent studies have shown Blue Buffalo is NOT sterilizing its equiptment... soy protein was found in one of its limited ingredient formulas...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby I<3mypit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:43 am

I use Solid Gold for both of my dogs and have never had a problem. It is a holistic food. Trinity (my Italian Greyhound) is very very sensative to food dyes and other thing so I try to go all natural with everything they eat.
I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Postby xKayleighx » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:37 pm

starrlamia wrote:there are some good limited ingredient formulas, usually it's a protein they are allergic to and not neccessarily grains. Natural Balance has limited ingredient formulas and Acana has one as well.

I've fed both types of food... both are great except Bruce got VERY bored with Natural Balance. I ALWAYS had to mix it with something to get him to eat it.

He still likes his Acana though.
xKayleighx
Newborn Bully

Postby starrlamia » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:45 pm

xKayleighx wrote:

I've fed both types of food... both are great except Bruce got VERY bored with Natural Balance. I ALWAYS had to mix it with something to get him to eat it.

He still likes his Acana though.

grendel too, he hates natural balance but loves acana! Right now we are trying out TOTW fish to see if he does well on it. If not back to acana.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues