Does and has anyone used Comfortis?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Does and has anyone used Comfortis?

Postby LuvMyBabies » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:18 pm

I live in Northeast Florida and the fleas are just horrible. One of my pups has a flea allergy and The vet suggested comfortis. Ive used K9, Advantage, and Frontline they work but wear off mid month. Before I try it I just wanted to see what some opinions or thoughts on it if anyone has used it. Thank you in advance
Jay
LuvMyBabies
Newborn Bully

Re: Does and has anyone used Comfortis?

Postby Boss*sMom » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Trifexis is what we use. Works for fleas and heartworms. Comfortis didnt work for us. This works great! And we are in South MS so same problems!
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:46 pm

I have used Comfortis.

When I moved into a new house the last renters had dogs and the house was just absolutely infected with fleas, my dogs ended up COVERED in them (even though they had been flea treated) and my older dog has flea allergies and her skin was horrible, red and inflamed and she had lost a lot of hair on her back nearest her tail. I was recommended comfortis. I gave them both a tablet on the Saturday and within days they were flea free and no longer itching. I redosed a month later (they are monthly) and that was 3 months ago, no dramas since then, my older dogs allergies have cleared up and fur is all back to normal she looks great, no side effects.
Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovetyson » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:09 am

I use comfortis. Falise had flea allergies, and just one on her she would chew herself up. This was the only thing that worked. My cat can't use topicals, and a previous dog had a allergy to the topical.. So I would rather not use them. They usually only last MAYBE 3 weeks, and if you bath them.. Prolly less. When comfortis works a full 4 weeks. But can't use it within a week of using HW meds.
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:53 am

ilovetyson wrote:I use comfortis. Falise had flea allergies, and just one on her she would chew herself up. This was the only thing that worked. My cat can't use topicals, and a previous dog had a allergy to the topical.. So I would rather not use them. They usually only last MAYBE 3 weeks, and if you bath them.. Prolly less. When comfortis works a full 4 weeks. But can't use it within a week of using HW meds.

^ where did you hear this? (please) I've been giving Comfortis and Interceptor together for a year or more....
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby xKayleighx » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Boss*sMom wrote:Trifexis is what we use. Works for fleas and heartworms. Comfortis didnt work for us. This works great! And we are in South MS so same problems!

Interesting that Comfortis didn't work because the flea preventative "ingredient" used in Trifexis is spinosad which is the same thing that is used for Comfortis...

We use Comfortis on Bruce and loooove it. He's generally fine if we use it bi-monthly... no fleas on his off months. Saves us money and I feel better not having to give it to him too often. We use Iverhart for HW meds and give that to him every month.
xKayleighx
Newborn Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm not sure, I'm thinking maybe he didnt take all of the pill? I like the Trifexis because it handles the fleas and HW, but when he is old enough we will be opting for the 6month hw shot.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby xKayleighx » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:05 pm

Boss*sMom wrote:I'm not sure, I'm thinking maybe he didnt take all of the pill? I like the Trifexis because it handles the fleas and HW, but when he is old enough we will be opting for the 6month hw shot.

Where have I been?? There's a HW shot????
xKayleighx
Newborn Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Our vet has them! They are good for 6 months!! I cant for the life of me remember what the brand is... I will ask next time we go in!! They were new to me too!
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby star_frances » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 am

I use Trifexis, which as others have said is Interceptor + Comfortis - so they get flea + heartworm prevention in one pill. We have a very bad flea infestation this year so my vet is also having us use a topical along with it.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:44 am

I found this info on the 6 month heartworm shot. Doesn't sound like something I will be rushing out to get for my dogs, personally.

https://animalhealth.pfizer.com/sites/p ... moxidectin).aspx
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilovetyson » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:19 am

Well, I use Ivermectin for HW prevention. Not Heart guard and such. But, mixing the two could give a bad reaction. Make the dogs very ill. So, better safe then sorry is my motto. So I usualy give them a week apart. Comfortis CAN make the dogs tummy upset and they can throw up with it. It HAS to be fed with food, to help.

But it works wonders for us. And I don't think Ill ever go back to a topical while this is avail. It is a little more pricey, But worth it when it last the full 4 weeks, and you don't have to worry about when and how often you bath them or what kind of soaps you use. Lol And with Jade being a therapy and service dog, she gets bathed way too much for the topicals.
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Boss*sMom » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:26 am

Star I couldnt get the link to work, I called the clinic and it is ProHeart (the name of the 6 month prevention injection). I will ask around and do some research before we decide to go that route. Our vet seemed to talk really highly about it, but then again I havent talked to our other vet about it yet. (We have 2, I always like to get a second opinion)
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Return to Health Issues