Please help, I'm worried

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Please help, I'm worried

Postby Muttkip » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:32 pm

First let me say, I'm HOPING this is a case of a picky dog. But for Beau it's just down right worrisome, he's 9 years old and starting to show it a bit.

But this has me worried, he hasn't eaten in about 4 or 5 days now. He won't eat his kibble, I've checked his teeth and felt around his mouth nothing, no abscesses or lumps or any pain reaction at all. He's healthy as a horse as well. I've even gone as far as wetting his food with water to soften it up and he wouldn't touch it, I had to force it down his throat to get him to eat. I just swapped his food to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and before that he was eating Purina Dog Chow with no issues.

He will take treats and human food when offered, he's running around playing like usual, he has no way of getting a hold of anything that would cause a blockage, he's not a chewer at all and has never chewed on anything unless I'm there to supervise. He's drinking water like normal and he weighs about 23 pounds. He has a clean bill of health as well.

But I also know MY dog and he has NEVER turned his nose up to any food EVER, he's a chow hound.

So like I said I'm hoping this is a case of a picky dog and not something worse since he is starting to get older.
Muttkip
Matured Bully

Re: Please help, I'm worried

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:55 pm

If he is taking scraps etc that I would be falling more towards the fact he is being picky.

Before panicking I would go out and buy some of his usual food the Purina and see if he is eating that normally. It could be a case of he just doesn't like the new food.

If he is not eating the Purina like normal then I would be concerned and be taking him for a check up/blood tests etc.
Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:57 pm

I know money is tight muttkip but if it was my dog and he doesn't have a history of being picky I'd err on the side of caution.

*edited because I'm a doofus and misread the part about him still playing.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Muttkip » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:00 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:I know money is tight muttkip but you need to get beau to the vet.

How is he otherwise? Bright and active or dull?

Bright and active as can be!! He just spent about 30 minutes doing zoomies and playing tug with me.
Muttkip
Matured Bully

Postby Nichole » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:17 pm

You could try getting a good quality canned food and add a dollop to his kibble - see if that wets his palate :)
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pblove » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:43 pm

never 'force it down his throat' he is not eating for a reason , maybe the food is a bad batch
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:36 pm

4-5 days is TOO LONG to wait on a dog that usually has a good appetite and suddenly doesn't, especially in a senior. Try a new bag of food tonight, but if he isn't eating normal tomorrow, I'd get him seen. I'd also push for labwork and x-rays since he doesn't have any other symptoms to tell you where to start.

Get him to the vet tomorrow or you might end up at the ER over the weekend.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:46 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:4-5 days is TOO LONG to wait on a dog that usually has a good appetite and suddenly doesn't, especially in a senior. Try a new bag of food tonight, but if he isn't eating normal tomorrow, I'd get him seen. I'd also push for labwork and x-rays since he doesn't have any other symptoms to tell you where to start.

Get him to the vet tomorrow or you might end up at the ER over the weekend.

:goodpost:

Maybe I'm paranoid but it's because we had a case this week if a dog with similar history that had a total of 7 platelets on her CBC by the time the owners brought her in and now she's in icu fighting for her life.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:27 am

Is he pooping?
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Muttkip » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:36 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Is he pooping?

Yes he is and peeing like normal.
Muttkip
Matured Bully

Postby Red » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:59 am

Have you taken this dog that hasn't been eating for 5 days to the vet yet?
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Muttkip » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Red wrote:Have you taken this dog that hasn't been eating for 5 days to the vet yet?

He actually started eating again like nothing happened, so I have no idea what is up with him. And no he hasn't seen a vet, I'm lacking money to do that right now....
Muttkip
Matured Bully

Postby mrgrimm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:27 pm

well good to hear, just keep an eye on him. I understand the pain of a tight budget, and we all try to do our best. You wouldn't be here posting if you didn't care so just keep doing what you are doing and post back up if issues remain, or maybe you could borrow some cash from someone you know?
mrgrimm
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues