Raw bones and interacting w/ children

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Raw bones and interacting w/ children

Postby mrgrimm » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:19 pm

Hey there, I'm curious as to how long I should keep the dogs away from my children after they have chewed on a raw chicken or beef bone. I grew up getting kisses from dogs and my children are the same way. Recently I have been enlightened to the fun new ways to make my dogs happy and healthy and my Rottie loves raw chicken/turkey heads and bones, my Pit not so much- but he will chew on a chicken/turkey leg a little if he's in the mood. I have a feeling that dog's mouths are pretty good about killing off bad stuff, but I don't want my daughters to get sick from something like doggy kisses! Thanks for any advice.
mrgrimm
Newborn Bully

Re: Raw bones and interacting w/ children

Postby addieNmel » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:32 am

I think you should be just fine. To be on the safe side, you may want to have them wash up after playing, but I dont think theres a big issue. The only thing i have read about salmonella and raw feeding is through feces.. so I dont think you have much of a worry. Better to be safe than sorry.. but from my understanding, it comes from poop! ;)
addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:23 am

I would not allow them to interact immediately after feeding raw. There are numerous documented cases of children getting salmonella from dogs fed raw foods. I would also make sure the kids do not have access to bones etc. either.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby star_frances » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Kids can get salmonella from dry dog food, too. According to the CDC report most of the concern is kids under two. Then again lots of things have the potential to cause illness, all you can do is be careful and minimize the risks. But try not to be too paranoid.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues