Grain free kibble without potatoes?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Red » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Can anyone think of a couple of brands really quick, maybe something they tried before? I had an allergy panel done on Sneaky and picked up the results just now.It would be better of potatoes were out of her diet , so I'd like to go in town and pick something for her as soon as I get off work.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: Grain free kibble without potatoes?

Postby ewwies » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:11 pm

I think Nature's Variety Instinct has no potato... they are just expensive!
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:30 pm

Was it a blood panel? If so, the results are about as good as flipping a coin...

I regularly see patients who react to foods they are currently eating, most often they are "allergic" to the diet they were switched to for their allergy trial!!

I wish they'd stop making serum panels for food allergies... it would save a lot of people a lot of money and confusion.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:36 pm

I 'think' I saw one made by Dogswell(chicken and peas) on Monday at the feed store
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Nature's Variety Instinct line uses pea starch, I didn't see potato listed in their ingredients but you'll have to read the labels in case you want to limit protein source too - a few of their formulas contain multiple protein sources.

I've fed Molly the rabbit formula and the duck one in the past and she did okay on it but poops were on the soft side and there were some other issues that I was trying to narrow down so put her on single-protein source kibble.

I also found Great Life Rubicon and Ziwipeak are grain & potato free. I have not tried either of them but was going to try Ziwipeak over a year ago but could not find info for where they are manufactured and where the meat is sourced for North American market. Their website only talks about the great sourcing they do in New Zealand and they never gave me a straight answer when I emailed them asking about the ingredient sourcing/manufacturing outside of NZ. If the label says anything other than NZ source/manufacture, I would not buy it.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:36 pm

I am ordering the Rubicon today and use the Ziwi Peake for training treats here, too many grain free foods are loaded with potatoes imho
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:47 pm

I just got a flyer in the mail about this dog food. http://www.backtobasicspetfood.com/ no grains, no, potato or chicken. Going to try the girls on it.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby MissKitty » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:10 pm

I am headed to the local pet food store, I will check and see if I can find foods without potatoes for you.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby starrlamia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Acana's Lamb and Apple LID formula is potato free.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby MissKitty » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:16 pm

From my trip to the store the ones that didn't have potato were-
Nature's Variety Grain Free line
California Naturals Grain Free Chicken
Addiction Wild Kangaroo and Apples
Addiction Le Lamb
Addiction La Porchetta

The store doesn't carry Acana/Orijen so I can't speak for those.

mtlu- Out of curiosity why do you advise against buy from a company that manufactures/gets meat from outside of NZ?
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mtlu » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:13 pm

I'm annoyed that they won't disclose where they source and manufacture for NA - companies should be able to answer basic questions like that. If it turns out they manufacture at a plant that also produces many other brands, then I worry a bit. I stopped getting Wellness Core because they charge a premium yet manufacture at Diamond plants in the distribution area I'm at - not sure if they manufacture for all of West Coast.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Adrianne
Regulator

Postby Red » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:14 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone.I did not know about the Nutrisca food and of course it is not sold anywhere within a one hour drive. So much for thinking lately to try less expensive brands. I got a bag NV Instincts for now, so at least she has something without potatoes.

What showed up on the panel from the Heska labs:

The environmental one is much worse and I'll probably start her on the allergen shots.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby heartbullies » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:53 am

I am feeding Booker Nature's Variety Instinct, the new Limited Ingedient turkey version. It uses tapioca instead of potato for a lower glycemic index. You should really check PetFlow.com, that is where I get it and it was not much more than the TOTW I had been getting delivered from them, but of course I only have one mouth to feed.

Unfortunately it does seem like his allergy issues this year are environmental; the food swap hasn't helped. I was thinking maybe MCT related histamines when he had the bumps, but since they were benign I guess this spring/summer/now fall he is just hive-y and itchy in sporadic fits. Worse than any other year for sure.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby heartbullies » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:55 am

I think PetFlow has the Nutrisca, also.
Our Safeway sells it? At least the canned stew version.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues