Sneaky's latest ordeal

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Sneaky's latest ordeal

Postby ilovemypits » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:40 pm

I hope her toe heals quickly... although I'm not sure the loss of a toe would slow her down at all lol
ilovemypits
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:02 pm

:pray for a speedy recovery, and for that super expensive anti-fungal drug to works it's magic!
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Taffys_Angel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:13 pm

Oh jeeze, a fungus??

I hope things get sorted out for her soon. :(
Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Red » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:41 pm

She is on Fluconazole and not the other expensive drug (got the names mixed and I am not sure how to spell the other).Dr. Anderson decided to use this one after consulting with the dermatologist and I hope that they are right.

She is home again and her toe is still very swollen.Bandage to be changed every day and miconazole to apply to the lesion, plus the anti fungal drug. On Friday we should have back the results of another test, but I am worried about how the toe looks. The vet said to wait at least a week before worrying, but then again he also said to give some time to the two antibiotics tried and I had to hospitalize her after a few days. If the toe keeps swelling then the skin can open up.
This is what the first results were:

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovemypits » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:10 am

Wow.. so back to your question.. how did she come in contact with this but no one else? I hope she starts feeling better fast with this new medicine.
ilovemypits
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:52 am

So it's ringworm and nothing else?
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby turtle » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:16 am

That sounds like a nasty fungus... I have used Tea Tree Oil on fungus before and it works pretty well. I don't know if that would help with Sneaky's toe or not. I do know Tea Tree Oil cured a fungus that a friend had under her fingernail for almost 2 years and nothing else worked to cure it, so it might be something to look into.

And I hope the strong meds will knock it out too. What a strange thing to have happen, especially when none of the other dogs have it. If it is ringworm, it should be curable and I hope the vets get it figured out. Good luck to Ms Sneaky... and to you in dealing with this.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby lilangel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:57 am

How does Sneaky's toe look today?
lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Poor girl! I hope they get it figured out soon!

Her bandage matches Khans bandage right now lol
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Thats wierd, but I gotta agree, you just need to give the meds some time to work. Its not a type of fungal infection I would expect to spread either, which is another good thing.

I can't think of anything else that would look like fungal spores on histopath, so I can't think of any reason to question the diagnosis from IDEXX.

If you wanted, you could request the samples be sent to a veterinary teaching hospital for a dermatologist to give a 2nd opinion.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:46 pm

lilangel wrote:How does Sneaky's toe look today?

Not too good but not too bad either, I think. I am sending pics to Dr. Anderson daily, so he can see what is happening and decided if we have to stop that meds and get her some itraconazole.The other test came back today (PAF stain?) , which confirmed the original results.

It is still quite swollen and irritated, so I am keeping a close eye on it. Today she got the miconazole liquid on it, after some drying and cleaning, then bandaged again. This is what he looked like, after I took off the bandage they did last night at the vet's.The stitches are still there and the white stuff in between the other toes is just cotton, to absorb extra moisture.

I guess I have to wait a little, but if it gets worse then she'll go back to the vet.

Sneaky would like to thank "auntie" Jenna (HappyPuppy) for sending her a new toy that kept her occupied for 15 minutes. The toy lost some parts but hey...with Sneaky it is enough that some of it is left:

She also had an eye to eye conversation (well a one eye convo) with the cheeteah toy, before proceeding to maul it. She does it all the time, like she is to say "yeah, I am about to kill you, is there a problem with it?"

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby dot » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:13 am

That was sweet of Jenna.

The toe looks yucky, but doesn't really seem to bother Sneaky. Is she wearing a cone or is she not bothering the bandage? The monster looks as happy as usual. lol
dot
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Red » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:36 am

dot wrote:That was sweet of Jenna.

The toe looks yucky, but doesn't really seem to bother Sneaky. Is she wearing a cone or is she not bothering the bandage? The monster looks as happy as usual. lol

The cone is off only if one of us is monitoring. I'd like to keep the bandage off for at least a couple of hours a day, to let the area dry, but that means to literally sit with her and entertain her, making sure she does not pull her usual hopping crap out of nowhere and bang her toe somewhere. She got about 40 minutes of free cone time between the new toy, a bully stick and stuffed kong earlier. She tries to do the zoomies and flips on a 3 foot leash when I take her out to potty, so you can imagine. She has been crated and kenneled for about 3 weeks now and I know how hard this is on her.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:47 am

I hope you will soon get healthy Sneaky.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby trip8581 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:01 am

Glad they finally figured out what was wrong with her toe (and that it was not cancer) - hopefully the medicine does the trick and Sneaky can go back to being full on crazy Sneaky. Thank dog she is a pit bull and can handle all of that as a lot of other breeds would be a PITA to deal with when it came to an infection like that. She is super cute telling the toy she is going to kill it, lol.
trip8581
Bully Lover 4 Life

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues