Arthritis...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Arthritis...

Postby I<3mypit » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:47 pm

This is more a question about my IG, but I wanted to get your advice since you are all dog people. About 4 years ago my IG (Italian Greyhound) broke her foot in 4 places after being chased by another dog. She is now developing what I would guess is arthritis because she limps and chews (not all the time) on that foot. On another forum someone suggested Traumeel, which is a homepathic pill for joints and such. I guess i'm just concerned about putting her on a permanent pain med like Rymedal unless she has to have it. Any suggestions on the situation?
I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Re: Arthritis...

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Traumeel is fairly safe, but has limited and/or varied response. My dog was on several homeopathic meds for her arthritis but none of them helped. She's been on and off NSAIDS (Metacam mostly, but also Previcox briefly and Rimadyl) for almost 4 years now and we do bloodwork at least once a year, usually every 6 months, which has shown no ill effects from the medication.

Alternative therapies such as acupuncture might be a good option for you if you are reluctant to use medications.

For me personally, it comes down to quality of life versus quantity. Sure, there is a slim chance that NSAID's may have negative side effects in long term use, but during that time my dog has been much more comfortable.

I think if she's chewing on her foot, she may be uncomfortable. What has your vet suggested?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby I<3mypit » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 am

Thanks for your response. We see the vet on Thursday, but when I talked to them on the phone they thought a pain med might be the way to go. I guess I am just a bit reluctant.
I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:18 pm

You could try cold laser therapy as an alternative to nsaids. Are you already giving her glucosomine and fish oil?
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby elegy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:20 pm

A joint supplement and fish oil daily with NSAIDs as needed is what I use with my arthritic girl. She rarely needs the Rimadyl but every once in awhile she overdoes it and I pop her a dose to keep her comfortable.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby suzanne » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Fish oil has been proven to help with joint pain, my dad started taking it and has noticed a difference with his arthritis pain.

My dog has bad hips and I started using adequan. It's marketed as an intramuscular injection but can be given sub-q like a vaccine and is just as effective. I bet 1 5ml bottle would last your dog a long time. My dog is pain free for about 25 days and then I have to give her the shot. If she over does it she can be sore but she doesn't cry like she used to and I very rarely have to give her pain medication.
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby I<3mypit » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:11 pm

She is not on anything currently, this seems to be the first year she is really having trouble I don't think the cold, wet weather is helping. I will give the glucosamine and fish oil a go too. I never thought about using that. Thanks! :thumbsup:
I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 pm

dogs4jen wrote:You could try cold laser therapy as an alternative to nsaids. Are you already giving her glucosomine and fish oil?

X2

My cat was recently diagnosed with Arthritis in his back. I see a holistic vet. He currently has him on fish oil, duralactin and cold laser treatments. I recently added cosequin(cat version of dosequin)
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:11 am

Licking the joint is one of many signs of chronic pain. Dogs do not cry until they are in SEVERE, nearly excruciating pain, limping is a sign of moderate to severe pain.

Your dog is telling you something, and she needs some pain medications.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues