Low T4 level on Chino's most recent blood tests.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Low T4 level on Chino's most recent blood tests.

Postby starrlamia » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:35 pm

BigBadPibbul wrote:
starrlamia wrote:
BigBadPibbul wrote:
starrlamia wrote:i have 3 essays to write, trade ya!
I love to write! I'd make that trade i a heart beat if you loved closer lol

Just got a call back from one of the vets, he said he thinks it may be a good idea to go ahead and start Chino on the thyroid pills and check her levels in a month. He's going to go over her bloodwork and call me back this afternoon and we will see what his recommendation is from there.

oh good you heard back, not the ideal situation but could be worse!

and if i had the cash, I would jump on a plane tomorrow :P

lol you just wanna snuggle my crew lol

its true lol
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 pm

BigBadPibbul wrote:
starrlamia wrote:i have 3 essays to write, trade ya!
I love to write! I'd make that trade i a heart beat if you loved closer lol

Just got a call back from one of the vets, he said he thinks it may be a good idea to go ahead and start Chino on the thyroid pills and check her levels in a month. He's going to go over her bloodwork and call me back this afternoon and we will see what his recommendation is from there.

Just so you know before you start... once you start, you are locked in.

If you start thyroid supplement and the thyroid is normal, you will shut down normal thyroid hormone production. Your dog will need to be weaned off slowly and then go without any medication for a month before you can re-test to determine if your dog is truly hypothyroid or not. A T4 alone is NOT a diagnostic test, it is only a screening test.

Or you can committ to supplementing for life, and hope the symptoms go away. Thyroid hormone will likely make your dog more active, and if he's a true hypothyroid the results will be dramatic, so starting pills alone may be adequate testing for you. If the results are not dramatic, it will be months before you can try testing again. Just something to think about before you start your dog on pills.

Neither option is wrong... its just best to know all the pros and cons before getting started.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby BigBadPibbul » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:47 am

Alright, so we talked to Beethoven's vet and the local vet on Tuesday morning. Chino started the medication Tuesday evening with her supper. She gets one pill every 12 hours, she's always been a pain to give pills to but we discovered that a small slice of hotdog makes the medicine go down in the most delightful way lol
I do believe Chino is already feeling better. She's not acting as depressed as she has been which is awesome, and last night when Jake was feeding them he called me out back to see what Chino was doing. Chino was making her best attempt at a zoomie in between bites of her food.
I tried to look at her behavior and think about it like I was just seeing what I wanted to see but after deciding to let her stay loose inside with me today so I could watch her, and putting her outside after a while because she was being a major pain in the arse instead of holding the couch down like usual I don't think I could deny that she's feeling better.
Lately Chino has only really gotten off the couch if I'm in the kitchen, today she had her head up my butt trying to see what I was doing, going room to room trying to see if she could find the cat, bothering the lizard, trying to get in the bedroom where the cat was closed in once she figured out where I'd stashed the kitty.
Tomorrow I'm going to put her sweater on her and let her dictate the walk distance just to see what she'll do. I'm not expecting her to want to tour the neighborhood or anything but I'm hoping for some ranging around on the end of the lead and more active interest in her surroundings.
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance YAY!!!!!
:yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :peace:
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues