Maili ate an entire package of rawhide

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby PaigeJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 pm

PBF has pretty good juju and we could use some good thoughts right now.

Maili currently has a whole package of rawhide sitting in her stomach after eating it all two days ago. My future in-laws are fond of sending us rawhide bones. Usually I throw them away but I guess I put a package of it in a drawer of the dog side table. The dog side table is in our office. We keep two crates in the office and a large dog bed for Maili to sleep on while we're not home. Charlie and Annie are in the crates and Maili is left out with the door to the rest of the house closed. I guess that night I hadn't closed the drawers to the side table all the way because she opened a drawer, took out the package of rawhides, tore it open, and consumed all of them. All that was left was the packaging.

That was two nights ago on Wednesday. Before Corey and I left Wednesday night to go to Charlie's puppy class we fed everyone. Maili ate the rawhide after she ate dinner. The next morning she threw up all her food and it was partially digested. I fed them all breakfast and Maili kept it down. I fed them all dinner and Maili kept it down until 4am this morning when she threw it all up. I took her outside at 5am and she had diarrhea, then vomited again.

I knew at this point it was probably a partial blockage or some nasty reaction to rawhide. I told Corey she needed to go to the vet today and I took her in at 9am. They took some xrays and felt her belly. Maili's totally not lethargic at all, she acts normal. Still has an appetite, she ate breakfast this morning and kept it down. The xray showed the rawhide is STILL sitting in her stomach after two days. The vet gave me some medicine to help her diarrhea and vomiting and also to try to move the rawhide along. Maili's supposed to go back tomorrow for more xrays.

Dunno if you all knew but me and my fiance were unemployed from March until just a month ago this year. So times were tight. While driving to the vet today Corey told me someone hacked his XBOX Live account and purchased enough points to drive his bank account into overdraft and racked up a bunch of overdraft fees with the bank. I hope you all don't mind sending some good thoughts so we won't have to go through with surgery. If it turns out she needs surgery I'll try to talk my parents into paying for her surgery instead of some stuff for our wedding next year. Care Credit is a no go since I was denied for it.

Thanks in advance guys. I'm really worried about Maili :(

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Maili ate an entire package of rawhide

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Oh no!! I worry about things like that - guess we've been lucky.... We're kind of in the same boat with only one of us getting paid for working right now... I sure hope you (or Maili) don't have to go thru surgery!!!!!! <fingers and paws crossed<
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby spammie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Hope she better soon. Naughty Maili.
spammie
Regulator

Postby star_frances » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Sending lots of good thoughts your pretty girl is okay. :hug:

Hopefully your boyfriend can get the XBOX thing worked out - I would hope your bank would investigate and sort things out so you don't have to pay any of those charges or fees!
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks guys.

star_frances wrote:Sending lots of good thoughts your pretty girl is okay. :hug:

Hopefully your boyfriend can get the XBOX thing worked out - I would hope your bank would investigate and sort things out so you don't have to pay any of those charges or fees!

He just talked to the bank and they said they won't refund any overdraft fees until XBOX refunds the stolen money and that will take 25 days. So for now we'll just wait for next week's paychecks to arrive and cross our fingers the xrays tomorrow are good.
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Apbt4life » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:03 pm

i wish you all the best hopefully it gets digested sooner then later, if i were you i would stay away from rawhide. it literally is like eating plastic and there is no nutrional benefits to it. good luck with everything, and sorry about the overdrafts, just hang in there and be patient, hopefully it will all work out for the good.
Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Postby PaigeJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:13 pm

Apbt4life wrote:i wish you all the best hopefully it gets digested sooner then later, if i were you i would stay away from rawhide. it literally is like eating plastic and there is no nutrional benefits to it. good luck with everything, and sorry about the overdrafts, just hang in there and be patient, hopefully it will all work out for the good.

Thank you APBT4life :) I actually don't give my dogs rawhide. I hate it and know how dangerous it is. That's why I can't understand how I kept a package and put it in the drawer. My in-laws keep sending it with care packages for the dogs and it usually ends up in the trash *sigh*. I'm absolutely kicking myself for not throwing it away.
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Murfins » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Sending positive thoughts for Malli
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Sending good thoughts and tail wags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Sending Mali good thoughts. :hug:
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby PaigeJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Thanks! So far she's kept her breakfast down and she just ate dinner with a lot of enthusiasm. Hopefully the meds will help push the rawhide through her system. I'm keeping her to just bone-in chicken at the moment (raw fed dog) because the previous two times she threw up she'd eaten fish and pork. It's looking like the chicken is more gentle.
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:11 pm

If the rawhide is still sitting in her stomach, would it maybe work to make her vomit it back up? I would have thought the vet might have tried that since the stuff is still in her stomach.

I've had dogs eat things they shouldn't and keep a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the cabinet in case I need to use it to induce vomiting. It might be worth asking the vet since it would be a lot easier than a surgery.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:24 am

You know, I thought that having her vomit it back up would be the easiest route too. I guess since her body has been trying to vomit it up the last two days he thought it'd be better to try to push it through her intestines. I was thinking it was better that the rawhide was in her stomach vs. her intestines since it may be easier to retrieve but I only had $200 at the time so the doctor just prescribed the meds.

I do have good news though :) Corey took the dogs outside just now and Maili pooped SOLID GOOD POOPS. She even had bits of rawhide in them. I'm so happy for her :headbang: Hopefully tomorrow's xrays will show all the rawhide is out of the stomach and almost out of her system for good.

I've told Corey many times today that I appreciate doggy care packages from his parents but tell them to keep it to bully sticks from now on.
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pblove » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:57 pm

come on Maili, poop that mess out
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:36 pm

Great update!
Murfins
Addicted to PBF