Eating too Quickly?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Eating too Quickly?

Postby EmmasMom » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Colby, the dog we got, hoovers his food. He is almost a year old and a sweet boy. Every time I give him food he practically inhales it. He'll eat his 2 cups of food in less than two minutes. I've tried hand feeding him and though that slows down the quantity he inhales, he still inhales it. Any suggestions on slowing him down? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Re: Eating too Quickly?

Postby Shanda » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:27 pm

This is the dog that 5 days ago you weren't getting? ::sigh::

Try work to eat toys, like Wobblers, Tug-a-Jugs, puzzles. I've found them to be most helpful for gulpers.
Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby turtle » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:16 pm

I've heard that putting a large rock in the middle of the food dish slows them down since they have to eat around it.

Also putting some warm water in the dry food will make them eat slower too.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby patty » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:20 pm

patty
Forum Junky

Eating too Quickly?

Postby EmmasMom » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Yes. And sigh right back. You don't know out full situation and you aren't here in our family so suck it up. Thank you ALL for the advice. :)

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby GoingPostal » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:39 am

Toss it on the floor or a cookie sheet, but I would say all my dogs eat their food that fast, Nero especially
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby amelie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:07 pm

I would say if he is not choking on it not to worry. All my dogs eat quite fast. I think it takes the pit bulls inside less than two minutes to finish their food, and I always feed them with water in their food. My sled dogs are 'trained' to eat quickly and all that I give them. When its -30 F and we just ran 60-100 miles pulling a loaded sled its VERY important they eat their meal... fast eating dogs are a pleasure to me as long as they are not choking on it. I've had dogs gag on dry kibble but I almost always add water and they dont have a problem.
amelie
Matured Bully

Postby Enamorada » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 am

turtle wrote:I've heard that putting a large rock in the middle of the food dish slows them down since they have to eat around it.

Also putting some warm water in the dry food will make them eat slower too.

Our boy, Plato, eats extremely fast and would sometimes choke or vomit his kibble up right after eating. We place a ball that jingles in the middle of his bowl and it slows him down. No more choking, no vomiting. Plus, the ball will jingle when he's done :D Which just makes me giggle.
Enamorada
Super Bully

Eating too Quickly?

Postby EmmasMom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks again for the advice! He's not choking or gagging or anything so that's good :) Emma takes her sweet time eating. Cole has started to slow down a little bit over the past day or so. We found out that the kid who had been watching him while his owner was in the hospital would "forget" about him for 2-3 days at a time over the two months he watched him. He'd just be locked in his crate the whole time with no food/water and in his own waste. Poor dude. No wonder he ate so fast!!

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:58 am

patty wrote:We bought one of these Brake-Fast bowls.

http://www.amazon.com/Brake-Fast-Dog-Food-Bowls-Medium/dp/B000PE30MQ

I have one of these bowls, I also add warm water and a couple spoons of can food or cut up meat, fish or chicken, Paige has to slurp up the water to eat and then she chases the food around the bowl which slows her down. I am sure they have them at Petsmart if you don't like to order online, have als0 seen (at Petsmart) these round silver ball looking things to add to the bowls to slow them down.(they have to push the ball around to get the food)
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:13 pm

I like the suggestions so far, what about work to eat toys? Puzzles or a wobbler perhaps.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:30 pm

You can also feed out of a muffin tin (a few kibbles in each pocket).

Choking isnt the biggest concern, bloat is. So if Cilby eats quickly, be sure to rest him after meals to prevent bloat.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby ilovetyson » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Jade gulps food and treats. Lol Someone once told me if you are worried they are going to choke, something to try is putting warm water in the food, leave it in there for a bit so the food has time to expand.. Then give it to them. So it is softer.. and shouldn't choke them. lol But, I have never done that.. So I don't know if it works.
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Shoshana » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Peanut eats fast at home but if she is eating around other dogs she gulps and barfs, rinse and repeat..

My friends were watching her and started putting different things in her bowl including her chain. But what I found works best (for Peanut) is to feed her in another room. Since they have dogs eating in 2 rooms already I took her into the bathroom to feed her (so I could close the door) when I was dogsitting.

Have you tried feeding Colby away from other dogs?

Something else you can try (and doesn't cost money) flip the dog bowl over and have him eat off the other side. This only works with some bowls tho. The cookie sheet sounds like a good idea too.
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues