Whats wrong with her PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Whats wrong with her PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!

Postby Pitboss858 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi I have a 7 month old pit that according to the vet she has a "flea irritation" but she hasent had any fleas so I really dont know why this is happening, maybe it might be that we changed her food to beniful PLEASE HELP!!(The purple thing in the pictures is medication)

Pitboss858
Newborn Bully

Re: Whats wrong with her PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!

Postby Cherry » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:33 pm

Pyoderma maybe? Flea irritation is usually near the tail. That's the first thing new vets tell us. Cherry has had 1 flea on her in years lol. Can you get a better picture of it? Is she itching it a lot? Make sure she's in a cone if she isn't being supervised. The more she messes with it, the worse it gets. We don't put creams on Cherry's skin infections, it usually makes it worse with the moisture. Best to let it dry out and a good dose of antibiotics and spray, if anything on it. Did the vet do a skin scraping? Only way to really tell what kind of infection it is.

Beneful is a really, really poor food. Tons of allergens, not to mention it is really crappy. Full of byproducts, corn, poor quality ingredients and nasty chemicals. Check out Canidae, Nature's Variety, Taste of the Wild. Blue Buffalo isn't too much more than Beneful, I don't think. Haven't checked the prices in awhile.

Is that the only skin issue she has or is she itchy in general, all over?
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzanne » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:18 am

Have they done a skin scraping to check for demodex? Is she actively scratching her head, like have you seen her doing it? Could possibly be a food allergy - my cat has them really bad and scratches around his face and ears.

I second what Cherry said about the cone. Did they give you an oral antibiotic? She should probably have some antibiotics [for skin infection] and either a spray or ointment that's antibiotic/steroid combo. When you're not watching her she should be wearing a cone so she can't continue to traumatize the area.
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pitboss858 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:46 am

Thank you for answering back and the vet did not do a scraping on herald tomorrow I will buy her a cone tomorrow cause she has been scratching it and I'm going to buy another food cause I think when we bought it, it started :goodpost:
Pitboss858
Newborn Bully

Postby Pitboss858 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:51 am

The vet did give her some antibiotics And she has some spots like 3 on her body and she scratches
Pitboss858
Newborn Bully

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:58 am

If she has a couple spots, I'm surprised he didn't scrape. Hell, I consider most pit bull puppies to have Demodex until proven otherwise :) Better food won't hurt, even if it proves to be something like Demodex. Good luck!
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cherry » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:24 am

Ya, I'd be switching vets asap. Ask for a skin scrape, in all of the spots. Poor pup!
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:09 pm

Anyone got any good food recommendations, so they don't go out and get something too similar, but with a different brand name? :)
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:22 pm

How about California Natural? It's a pretty good food, especially if you suspect allergies, although not specially for allergy sufferers like Natural Balance.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:33 pm

I think at this point, that while changing her to a better quality food certainly wont hurt, it's NOT going to heal whatever is going on with that spot on her head.

You need to go back to your vet and ask for a skin scraping and/or a skin culture if the antibiotics aren't helping. Keep the areas that are causing her grief clean and dry, and prevent her from licking or scratching.

Make sure she is getting the antibiotics properly in the meantime (every 12 or 8 hours or whatever is directed) without missing ANY doses.

Poor little miss :(
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby suzanne » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:04 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:I think at this point, that while changing her to a better quality food certainly wont hurt, it's NOT going to heal whatever is going on with that spot on her head.

You need to go back to your vet and ask for a skin scraping and/or a skin culture if the antibiotics aren't helping. Keep the areas that are causing her grief clean and dry, and prevent her from licking or scratching.

Make sure she is getting the antibiotics properly in the meantime (every 12 or 8 hours or whatever is directed) without missing ANY doses.

Poor little miss :(

This x2.

Also if you're looking for cheaper but decent I have found the best food deal is Nature's Domain from Costco. The Salmon & Sweet Potato is comparable to Taste of the Wild. Here it is $34.99 so almost $1 a pound which really isn't too bad.
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby heartbullies » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:08 pm

Looks like Demodex to me? Very common in pit bulls, unfortunately. Dogs that had significant Demodex as a puppy should not be bred but people do it anyway so the breed is pretty notorious for this type of mange. Also there often can be a skin infection along with the mange. Typically treated with Ivermectin and antibiotics for the infection. A good food to better nourish her can help. Basically look for no sugar, no dye, and no "parts," like "soy flour" or "corn meal." There are some good cheaper options like Nature's Domain at Costco, Professional, Healthwise for Pets, Chicken Soup for the Soul, California Natural, Diamond Naturals (not regular Diamond). Beneful is expensive and not a great diet, and you're paying for dye and cheap ingredients like corn grits.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Pitboss858 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:11 am

Thank you all for your helpful comments they are well appreciated would you guys recommend blue buffalo and if I can ask you guys a favor and see if there are any inexpensive vets in San Diego. :goodpost:
Pitboss858
Newborn Bully

Postby Cherry » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Find a Banfield that has good reviews and get their Wellness plan. Not a bad deal if you are taking your dog to the vet a lot. Good luck!! And yea, I'd recommend Blue Buffalo.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Pitboss858 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:25 pm

Ok I'll try that thanks
Pitboss858
Newborn Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues