Good Lord, anything else at this time?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Good Lord, anything else at this time?

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:36 pm

I could donate too and continue to donate a bit each paycheck but I don't think Val is making her decision based soley on money. I wish I could be a good enough home for Zoey but I'm not that either. It is just so sad.

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:46 pm

I too would be willing to send something I can't do much as I have my own issues with Gavin... But Val was kind enough to help us with him... And this is the least I could do.

I feel so bad for both you Val and zoey. If I didn't have the issues I have with Gavin I would offer her a home. It's just not the right place or time :( . We are here for you whatever you decide to do.

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Ilovethepits wrote:I could donate too and continue to donate a bit each paycheck but I don't think Val is making her decision based soley on money. I wish I could be a good enough home for Zoey but I'm not that either. It is just so sad.

I'd be willing to donate as well. I've got some coin saved up in paypal I could send... but yeah. The problem is bigger than just getting surgery done. *sigh*

I wish I didn't live here... and could legally take in another PB. The issue of bad knees or bilateral TPLO's wouldn't scare me off... I used to work with TPLO dogs for a living.

Man this sucks.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Anything we can do to help, please let us know. I know you are doing all you can, and I am so very sorry you've had such a rough go this year. If there was something we could do to help you and Zoey have a better outcome, rest assured we'd move mountains to make it happen.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Val - I am so very sorry that this year has brought you so much heartache. I can only hope that 2012 brings brighter skies for your home.

I wish you some sense of peace.

mtlu wrote:
heartbullies wrote:I can't speak for her, but in a shelter or foster setting when we have an adult pit bull (already the most difficult type of dog to find a home for-- pups and other breeds are so easy to find good homes for, in comparison!) who has been living in a kennel or in a home-rotation for six or eight or twelve months without one single application and then they need $1500+ surgery and at-home rehab or physical therapy? It just reflects the depressing fact there are too many of these poor dogs and not enough good homes.

I can't speak for Val either but yes, looking at the big picture - the long view - whatever you want to call it - is a necessary part of making decisions like this. It's great to see so many people willing to be so generous and having so much compassion but as some have mentioned before, raising money is the easy part...

A wheelchair also means amputation to solve the issue of arthritis which can develop after this kind of injury – and would make her even more impossible to adopt out.

Many thanks to both of you for expressing these issues.

I was with Heartbullies the weekend she put down one of her favorite shelter dogs for very similar issues. It was a wrenching weekend full of tears and many, many laughs even when we knew that the right thing wasn't the easiest thing or the happiest thing.

Sometimes love (and money) just isn't enough.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:33 pm

My head understands all the issues associated with Zoey and that adoptions for adult pit bulls are slow and she’ll need more recovery care, etc…..

But my heart longs for a different outcome and for a way to give Zoey another chance….

She’s come so far from being a dog left behind, she’s already come thru a successful surgery, she’s a young dog who could be a wonderful pet for someone, it just hurts to think this could be the end of the road for her.

This just sucks….

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:18 pm

I'm understanding that this isn't just a money problem but I'd also be able chip in a bit.. not much but some..I don't know if there's anything I can do re finding a home for Zoey since I live pretty far away but I'd be willing to try..anyways I know there's no easy answers or decisions here but just wanted to put it out there. Val, Zoey was very lucky to have you give her some very very happy months no matter what happens.

leila.quinn.82
Newborn Bully

Postby leila.quinn.82 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:42 pm

Oh no! I am so heartbroken for her and the wonderful people who have been taking such good care of her. i chipped in before and would do it again, if I had 1500 I didn't absolutely rely on I would just pay it! There is something about ther, but sometimes all the best intentions and effort just doesn't mean a happy ending. Even if it was WAY too short, the life she lived with you was better than the life she had before, by far, and she knows you love her. I'm so sorry :hug:

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:41 pm

A friend here mentioned regretting the decision when things are over, of course. I can't be sure of a decision vs another, which makes it harder, and regrets over a dog that was put to sleep are a bitch. It is not a first for sure and won't be the last either.
Some of you have offered to help with the surgery costs, again, and I am sure that it would seem odd to still euthanize her if the surgery is paid for. It is not just money (though it is the main reason right now), it is not having guarantees that this will work and she can find the home she deserves. These is uncertainty in rescue and fostering in the first place, and it is worse when dogs start having health problems.

That said, this reject still have people who are willing to help her, and I am not sure I can deny her one more chance with that in mind. It is just one dog and so many are in need that it seems wasteful to spend so much money on her. Then again, sometime one dog at a time is all we can help or try to help.
This is Zoey's last chance, there are no guarantees for anything and please understand that.I am very grateful to see people coming together once again, for a dog nobody wants, but we all need to know that if this won't work we tried all we could. I say "we" because I need to keep that in mind too.I would not want to euthanize this dog later and disappoint those who helped her. All I can do is take the help and give her one last chance. My vet can do the surgery tomorrow, if people are still okey with helping her after what I said.

For now, I told Zoey that she might get another chance and she picked up a toy and said stuff (she always talks). That support cast is sure making her feel better, to the point of being careless:

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 pm

In tears all over again, I will definately donate to help sweet Zoey again.

leila.quinn.82
Newborn Bully

Postby leila.quinn.82 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:59 pm

I for one will give EVERY cent I can spare (still not as much as i'd like) i would also be seriously interested in adopting her, I am actually in the market for a girl who might like my hyper dog social meathead, but i am far away, and I think my boy has too rough of a playstyle for a girl who needs to take it easy. No pressure, but I'm sobbing right now i'm so happy! :beer:

pipersmom
Adolescent Bully

Postby pipersmom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:00 pm

I absolutely am still willing to donate. You are an amazing woman with a huge heart. I am glad to see Zoey may have one last chance :hug:

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Val, I am more than happy to help donate for her surgery! :) I am glad you are giving her another chance but I supported your decision either way. Do you have a paypal or do you want donations called directly to the vet? Either works for me, just let me/this thread know. :thumbsup:

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Can you please post either the Vets info to make a donation to, or a chip in link so that we can start helping? I can't give much, as money is tight this month, but I can give some and then more next month if there is still a balance to be paid. I think we all (Mostly you) have put a ton of money, thoughts, and prayers into this girl and would do all we can to continue to help her. I understand that we can't save them all, but we have already helped save her once. It would suck to feel we failed her, knowing we could have done more.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:17 pm

I think everyone here understands your position Val, come pay day I will pitch in what I can.
I know in the end it is your decision, but if that bit of money everyone can donate helps her for even a short time it is worth it. Every dog deserves a chance, and yes there are other needy dogs out there, but we will do what we can for each individual dog as they come at us.

Return to “Health Issues”