Good Lord, anything else at this time?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Good Lord, anything else at this time?

Postby turtle » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:02 am

Ohhh no, this is the worst news…. I read it late last night and then could not sleep.

Poor Zoey and poor Val. It has been a horrible year for you. I know it is all overwhelming.

But if Zoey’s leg is fixed, then she would be ok, she is a young healthy little dog and her other leg healed up well.

Can we as a forum, get together and help with the costs? $1500 for surgery is not that much if we all give something?

Val has been generous with her help to so many on here and she has helped many dogs out of the goodness of her heart. Neither she nor Zoey deserve this ending.

We all pulled together to help both Zoey and Diesel, can’t we do it again? I would certainly donate.

But to sit by and see this awful choice have to be faced by Val alone is heartbreaking.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:17 am

turtle wrote:Ohhh no, this is the worst news…. I read it late last night and then could not sleep.

Me too. I was up late and then didn't sleep very soundly because I couldn't stop thinking about this. I even dreamt about Zoey. In my dream Red told me she was blind-weird right? I would definitely donate as well, I even have a few things I could try to sell to raise money. I even talked to my husband last night about talking to my family members and seeing if they would donate. I told him we could owe our friends a purchase from one of their kids school fund raisers. Just...anything I could think of to help.

I'm afraid saying all of this will make Val feel obligated...and i don't want to do that. This has to be hard enough as it is...we have to remember that if Zoey had the surgery-Val (and family) are the ones taking care or and rehabilitating Zoey.

With all of that said I am glad to see that others want to help. (of course they do-PBF is a great place)

Anyhow, if the decision is made to go ahead with the surgery I can commit to a $100 donation. Hopefully more, but at this point that is what I know I can give. If the decision is made to have Zoey PTS I can commit to one shoulder to cry on in addition to some of my own tears.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Re: Re: Good Lord, anything else at this time?

Postby Odnarb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:21 am

Beowulf wrote:Val, only you know your limits. And Zoey's. Whatever you decide to do, I'm behind you 100%. Of all the people on this forum, you are one of those I would believe if you said "there is just no other choice." I'm so sorry for all you've been through this year. :(

What she said. This is so heartbreaking.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby tia_leigha » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:35 am

I'd be willing to donate what I could too Val. My heart breaks for you. You're an incredible person for all that you do.
Stay strong. I just want to scream and cuss for you, and break things. You have had the hardest time lately. We've lost too many amazing dogs this year and shed a LOT of tears as a group. I am so SO sorry that this is happening to you. Its CRAP. :hug:
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby haircrazie016 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:38 am

i think broken aquarians suggestion was a good one, a wheelchair could be a good option. There are tons of people out there who love special needs dogs, not that it makes any sense but shed probably be more adoptable on wheels lol
haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby tia_leigha » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:48 am

I was thinking wheel chair too!
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Re: Re: Good Lord, anything else at this time?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:57 am

Odnarb wrote:
Beowulf wrote:Val, only you know your limits. And Zoey's. Whatever you decide to do, I'm behind you 100%. Of all the people on this forum, you are one of those I would believe if you said "there is just no other choice." I'm so sorry for all you've been through this year. :(

What she said. This is so heartbreaking.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

x3. If it was anyone else posting this, I would be highly skeptical. I'm so deeply sorry for everything you've been through this year.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby heartbullies » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:10 am

I would guess that if there was any potential adopter, Val would be all over it and find any way to do this surgery; she has helped and pinched her own pennies many times in the past for rescue dogs needing medical care, and wound up having to keep most of these dogs due to a depressing lack of appropriate homes.

Having been in the same boat with both shelter dogs and a personal foster-- after months and months of not even a single adoption nibble or application, and zero viable options for a real, forever home, deciding to pursue orthopedic surgery for a dog who may continue to sit in a shelter or in a foster home for years and years is a hard one. It SUCKS and is not Zoey's fault or Val's fault.

I can't speak for her, but in a shelter or foster setting when we have an adult pit bull (already the most difficult type of dog to find a home for-- pups and other breeds are so easy to find good homes for, in comparison!) who has been living in a kennel or in a home-rotation for six or eight or twelve months without one single application and then they need $1500+ surgery and at-home rehab or physical therapy? It just reflects the depressing fact there are too many of these poor dogs and not enough good homes. I am also willing to bet that if a solid applicant came forward (hint, hint) and was willing to keep Zoey for the next ten to fifteen years no matter what, and would do the post-op care and rehab, this story would have a different ending.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby turtle » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:16 am

jamielvsaustin wrote: I would definitely donate as well, I even have a few things I could try to sell to raise money. I even talked to my husband last night about talking to my family members and seeing if they would donate. I told him we could owe our friends a purchase from one of their kids school fund raisers. Just...anything I could think of to help.

I'm afraid saying all of this will make Val feel obligated...and i don't want to do that. This has to be hard enough as it is...we have to remember that if Zoey had the surgery-Val (and family) are the ones taking care or and rehabilitating Zoey.

With all of that said I am glad to see that others want to help. (of course they do-PBF is a great place)

Anyhow, if the decision is made to go ahead with the surgery I can commit to a $100 donation. Hopefully more, but at this point that is what I know I can give. If the decision is made to have Zoey PTS I can commit to one shoulder to cry on in addition to some of my own tears.

Well said....

I hate to give up on a young dog like Zoey. If she can get the surgery and we as a group can help pay the bills, then it is still a tough situation as Zoey will need care in her recovery.

It is an awful choice to have to make. I am glad that others would help donate too but that is only one step...

But if you think of the numbers, if 100 people give $10, that is $1000... if 50 people give $15, that is $750... so it is not an impossible task.

I would rather donate money where I know it makes a difference in a dog's life and for me it is a way to give back to this amazing breed of dog that has made my own life better in the last 35 years....
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mtlu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:31 am

heartbullies wrote:I can't speak for her, but in a shelter or foster setting when we have an adult pit bull (already the most difficult type of dog to find a home for-- pups and other breeds are so easy to find good homes for, in comparison!) who has been living in a kennel or in a home-rotation for six or eight or twelve months without one single application and then they need $1500+ surgery and at-home rehab or physical therapy? It just reflects the depressing fact there are too many of these poor dogs and not enough good homes.

I can't speak for Val either but yes, looking at the big picture - the long view - whatever you want to call it - is a necessary part of making decisions like this. It's great to see so many people willing to be so generous and having so much compassion but as some have mentioned before, raising money is the easy part...

A wheelchair also means amputation to solve the issue of arthritis which can develop after this kind of injury – and would make her even more impossible to adopt out.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:49 am

If our community had a suitable home for Zoey I would agree whole heartedly that the knee shouldn't be the end but heart breakingly mtlu is right, the money is not the hardest part.
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 am

Oh Val...I am so sorry you are having to make this decision. We are all here for you! You have been dealt a horrible hand this year.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:09 pm

I am so sorry it has come to this, like the other posters said, I couldn't sleep either. I keep thinking if we could raise the money to get her the surgery, a potential adopter might think "well at least she's not going to need knee surgery." Are there any rescues who could help? I know it's been just a horrible time for you Val and this is the last resort. :crybaby:
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby pipersmom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:14 pm

I had a hard time sleeping last night thinking about Zoey and Val. It's such an unfair situtaion for both of them. We will support you Val and be here for you. I would be more than willing to donate money to help pay for Zoey's surgery and care if the decison was made. I know this is heartbreaking :hug: You have done great things for sweet Zoey. Please don't be hard on yourself.
pipersmom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Taffys_Angel » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:34 pm

I wish I wasn't so powerless to help....

I'm so sorry it's come to this.
Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues