Odd behavior this weekend

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Odd behavior this weekend

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:51 pm

So more so today than yesterday, Obi has been down right grumpy. He snarled at Buddy when she tried to walk through the door past him. He lifted his lip when she was circling in her bed. He growled at her when she came over for some loving. All this is pretty uncharacteristic for him unless there's s high value treat or chew somewhere around.

Ava was crated in our bedroom and seems unconnected to this.

I thought he was feeling pent up so we went to the country for a long off leash run. Normally hen we make the final turn o get to the trail he's frantic with excitement, but today he was more subdued.

At then at dinner, he was laying at my feet and Daryl was rubbing him with his feet, which he normally loves, and he growled and then snapped at Darryl. SO not like him.

He has caudal equina syndrome so I thought maybe his bcd was starting to flare but but I've checked him from head to toe and can't isolate any pain, heat, swelling, or anything out of the ordinary. He's eating drinking and pooping normally.

So needless o say, he's coming to work with me tomorrow. Hope it's nothing serious, because as much as es a PITA, he's kinda grown on me.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Odd behavior this weekend

Postby dot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:31 am

I hope he gets out of his funk soon. :hug:
dot
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:25 pm

It's his back. Rest (sigh) and metacam for 4 days.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Taffys_Angel » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:08 pm

What happened to his back?!
Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:15 pm

He has cauda equina syndrome which basically means his spine is narrow above his hips and it causes nerve pain. Thankfully he's pretty self limiting when he's having a flare up and just wants to rest.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby suzanne » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Have you ever considered acupuncture?

My dog LiLo has bad hips and has to be on adequan injections to stay comfortable. When she's coming due she gets sore and cranky. I'm not sure adequan would help if this is a nerve pain issue, but maybe acupuncture would? Like maybe a maintanence treatment 1-2x a month? I have done it for LiLo's hips, although it doesn't help with bone pain I do believe it helped relax her muscles and ease the soreness.
suzanne
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:14 am

We've tried acupuncture a couple of times but he hates it for whatever reason. And he's not a candidate for chiro. I wish he would tolerate acupuncture better because I think it could be so helpful.

I do give him massages every few days though which he lovessss!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Return to Health Issues