The girls are sick

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

The girls are sick

Postby Nichole » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:12 pm

I think the girls got on pbf and were reading about Red's pups and they started scheming. They thought to themselves "Wow, look at all the sympathy and love they're getting! We gotta get in on some of that!" And so they did.

Last night I went to bed with two normal. energetic little pups. I woke up this morning to aliens.

First unusual thing was that Sadie didn't want to get out of bed this morning. She is a good sleeper and waits till we get moving before bounding out of bed for breakfast. Rob had to call her repeatedly out of bed and finally nudged her out. She didn't want to move. Weird. Then she just stopped at the top of the stairs and didn't want to continue downward for breakfast. Weird.

Then I got up 30 minutes later and went to the bathroom. No Violet to get in my business and be rude? Okay, that's weird. I went into my office where I found two sleeping puppies. They barely acknowledged me. That's weird. I sat down at my computer for a bit then got up and got ready for work. Where are my shadows? Why arent they following me around everywhere I go? I went in and checked on them. They looked at me but didn't move. VERY weird.

I called them out to make them move. Their movements were very stiff. They both stumbled a bit. I went and got treats because I wanted to see them move. I shook the treats and they just looked at me. No interest in moving any further than they already had. It was at this point I knew I had a serious problem. I made them move some more and they both had an odd gait. Very stiff, kinda lame looking. Violet nearly face planted when she hopped off the couch.

Called my vet but they were over booked for the day so I had to take them to the ER vet. Normally I could do this but I am working in a new OB clinic at a new hospital that opened up and there is zero coverage. It's just little lone me and my schedule was packed. So I unfortunately had to send my beloved girls with my husband. I wrote down their medications, their odd symptoms and sent them away while i drove the opposite direction for work.

After a lot of back and forth on the phone, here is the final summary as of right now.

Sadie is home. She acted fine in front of the vet of course. She LOVES the vet. So she totally blew off Sadie as "maybe having an off morning" - when my husband told me this I about blew a gasket. They did a full blood pannel at my insistence and it came back normal. Rob took her home and then called me at work and said "I see it now. She's walking weird and she won't do a sit or a sit pretty - not even for food!" Insert head slam here.

Once I heard from Rob that they were kinda blowing Sadie off I immediately called my regular vet and scheduled another appt with her. She'll be seen first thing in the morning.

Violet is still at the vet. Her blood pannel was normal. No fever for either dog. Violet's joints are inflammed and very painful. She doesn't want to put ANY weight on her legs. They wanted to do a tap to get some joint fluid but decided to hold off because she is on steroids secondary to her allergies. The surgeon is concerned that the steroids will make the samples difficult to interpret. So she'll be going home when I get off tonight with pain management. No more meds until then and we'll meet with the surgeon again on Wednesday to reevaluate her to see if she still needs the biopsy.

In the mean time, I called and spoke with the vet directly. I told her the symptoms of Sadie "came back" once Rob got her home. The vet was concerned about an autoimmune response or cancer but I really tried to impress on them that Sadie is also symptomatic even though she didn't express it to them. Believe me. She IS sick. (The vet is also sending me home with pain meds for Sadie as well, thankfully.) I was just concerned with them doing this expensive, invasive procedure for cancer or autoimmune disorders when it is unlikely to be those since both girls are sick. She still thinks we should because they can culture the fluid for infection, which is fine, but for reasons stated above, we're pausing until Wednesday.

So that is where we stand. I was hoping to get out of work right at 5 but I just heard they added an amniocentesis to my already packed schedule. Great. So much for getting out on time. That much longer before I can be with my babies :(

I was supposed to get on a plane with Sadie on Wednesday to go to St Louis for UFLY Flyball Nationals. We were going to be on an all staffy dream team on Friday plus our regular team over the weekend. It looks like I am going to have to bail at the last minute. Very sad, very frustrating, and very worrying.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: The girls are sick

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Tell them we love them much more when they are well!
:tongue:
What about lyme disease, have they been tested for that? The inflamed joints made me think of that.
Is there anything bad they could have gotten into in your house or yard?
Sending the girls lots of :hug:
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:20 pm

Oh, noes.... Sounds fishy since they both are symptomatic... hopefully it's just something simple like kennel cough. Darn on possibly having to miss the comp.... Feel better girlz!!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Oh no!! Saw this on FB but am saddened to read the details here.

Sending healing thoughts to your lovely girls!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Nichole » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:42 pm

I'm going to ask about Lyme disease. My husband said they tested for it and it came back fine, but I want to clarify for myself. I'll update more when I get home after I see them.

We've been wracking our brains trying to figure out what they could have gotten into. We've pulled all suuplements just to be safe. The vet wants us to cook our raw meets "just to be safe" (these vets are not fans of the raw diet). No unusual trips, nothing weird going on in the yard that I know of...
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Stormi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:55 pm

What a Monday you've had :( Sending healing thoughts to the gremlins.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby BabyReba » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:58 pm

oh no! what is with all the sick pbf dogs lately? i hope the girls are ok.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby Muttkip » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Have they been checked for Lepto? I know there was a recent outbreak in Michigan,I know it's not near you, but you are near Canada and Michigan is near Canada so it could never hurt to ask!

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/disease ... irosis.htm
Muttkip
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Muttkip wrote:Have they been checked for Lepto? I know there was a recent outbreak in Michigan,I know it's not near you, but you are near Canada and Michigan is near Canada so it could never hurt to ask!

She's in Washington. On the other side of the continent.

Very strange that both of them would come down with the same thing. It must be something infectious...
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby ellie@ny » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Could they got into something together, eating something they shouldn't have?? Did you check if anything missing??In/out side?
2 yrs ago Milo swallowed a piece of raw hide(which I didn't know of), and the next day when I came home from work he was moving like a zombie(very stiff),and wasn't himself. Thankfully after spending the night at the ER, he past it and didn't need surgery.
But he had the same exact symptoms.
Hope they'll feel better soon!
ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby Muttkip » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:25 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:
Muttkip wrote:Have they been checked for Lepto? I know there was a recent outbreak in Michigan,I know it's not near you, but you are near Canada and Michigan is near Canada so it could never hurt to ask!

She's in Washington. On the other side of the continent.

Very strange that both of them would come down with the same thing. It must be something infectious...

Like I said, you never know and it NEVER hurts to ask! Do happen to have tomato plants in your backyard at all? Those are toxic to dogs.
Muttkip
Matured Bully

Postby Nichole » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:40 pm

No tomato plants. In fact there is hardly anything growing in our back yard besides herbs and brussel sprouts. Not even grass secondary to a massive backyard landscape project. Nothing chemical is allowed in my yard and the landscapers are of the organic variety. They know I have dogs and they know everything done has to be dog safe.

I'll update as I find out more info.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Oh no not you too?
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Timas Mom » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Well we supposedly have had cases of lepto here in Vancouver Canada...and we're not far.
I really hope thats not it at all!!

Paws crossed here its nothing!!!!
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:36 pm

It would be a very odd presentation of lepto. Every case I've seen has presented with vomiting ad highly elevated kidney levels.

I'm wracking my brains trying to think of what could affect two dogs.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues