Fed a raw bone but still puking up sharp pieces

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Fed a raw bone but still puking up sharp pieces

Postby Chasesmom » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:58 am

Yesterday, I gave Chase a beef soup bone RAW for him to gnaw on. Today, he puked up this very sharp piece of bone. I thought raw bones were supposed to be safe?? He's had them before and didn't have problems. Anything I can do to make sure the pieces he has in him come out safely? I fed him some extra kibble this morning hoping that would help cushion them through his intestines.
Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Re: Fed a raw bone but still puking up sharp pieces

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:21 am

This is why I don't feed these giant bones.

Keep food in his tummy to encourage his stomach acids to continue to "work" on the bone in there. They typically throw up bone pieces when it's all that's left in the stomach and yet more bile and digestive acids get pumped in there to try and "deal" with the bone hunks. Too much bile + empty stomach is irritating and eventually the stomach vomits up the stuff that's irritating it (bile and bone hunks)
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:26 am

Not sure which cut of beef you used, but I believe the rule is to stay away from load bearing bones. I do because they splinter pretty bad when chewed on.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Chasesmom » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:26 pm

Well this will definitely be the last one he gets after the piece I saw he puked up this morning. Poor guy :crybaby:
I'll feed him a cup this afternoon and maybe some bread too.

Shows how ignorant I am, I thought as long as it wasn't cooked it's game on. I'm scared to feed him little chicken bones and stuff raw but I never thought a big one would cause problems.

Blah.

Hope he passes everything alright.
Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Ruby will occasionally barf up pork bone fragments or chicken leg/thigh fragments from her dinner - always eeeaarrly the next morning. That bother me when it happens but seem to be fairly routine and not every time... Don't overgeneralize, Chasesmom... I occasionally feed the little round 'soup bones' that are like an inch to an inch and a half long with the quarter-sized marrow in the center - is that what you fed? My biggest concern on those bones is wearing Ruby's teeth down, which is already happening.
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Chasesmom » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:59 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:Ruby will occasionally barf up pork bone fragments or chicken leg/thigh fragments from her dinner - always eeeaarrly the next morning. That bother me when it happens but seem to be fairly routine and not every time... Don't overgeneralize, Chasesmom... I occasionally feed the little round 'soup bones' that are like an inch to an inch and a half long with the quarter-sized marrow in the center - is that what you fed? My biggest concern on those bones is wearing Ruby's teeth down, which is already happening.

Yeah that's what I fed him. He's rubbing his butt on the lawn now too. He puked more while I was at work. Fed him some nore kibble, some bread, and a little coconut oil to hopefully help it slide out. Just have to keep my eyes on him for the time being...
Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby pblove » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:42 pm

I had the same problem with Paige.
I fed her dinner, then gave her a raw bone(soup bone style)After about an hour she started throwign up and there were long shards of sharp splintered pieces. I ran and got some plastic bags so I could save the sharp pieces in case we had to head into the e.r. vet, darn if I didn't get cut form the sharp pieces(even with rubber gloves, a wad of paper towels and several plastic bags covering my hand. Next thing you know I had a stream of blood dripping down onto the ground, my jeans and boot.)
I fed her several pieces of white bread evry few hours and thankfully, she was fine.
That was the last raw bone for my girl too
(I woudl keep an eye on the ground when/where he scoots to make sure there is no blood and if there is get him in to see his vet. The splinters can cause nicks in the intestines and he can get a nasty infection that needs antibiotics, can cause impaction.....dam bone!
Stay well Chase
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:24 pm

^^ I need to correct myself in sounding so casual, Chasesmom... My Ruby is NOT a hard chewer and does not impact those bones except dents and scratches so if you guys are talking about splintering from that cut of bone, that sounds more serious. Ruby has puked either pork neck (or rib?) bones as well as the chicken leg/thigh ends, so that's my basis of experience. Altho Ruby has puked some scarily sharp bones that really worried me - and I hope I took a pict but she also puked up I think a thin piece of rib bone with some toy fuzz wrapped around it <<< blockage alert!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:59 pm

I have had issues giving raw bones as recreational chews in the past. Usually puking chunks of bone. I feed raw now, but still give the smoked bones I gave before for recreational chews.

I personally wouldn't over worry about it. IMO it is hit or miss and a personal decision on what you think is the least risk for what you give for chews. As there really seems to be issues with anything you can give lol
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:08 pm

How is Chase doing?
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby 1lila1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:20 pm

FransterDoo wrote:Keep food in his tummy to encourage his stomach acids to continue to "work" on the bone in there. They typically throw up bone pieces when it's all that's left in the stomach and yet more bile and digestive acids get pumped in there to try and "deal" with the bone hunks. Too much bile + empty stomach is irritating and eventually the stomach vomits up the stuff that's irritating it (bile and bone hunks)

Agreed!

I feed only chicken bones or the lighter turkey bones like necks and wings. I'll occasionally give a big turkey bone as a treat but nothing larger than that ever. I used to feed pork necks and they did fine but out of precaution I don't anymore and my old dog's teeth were starting to wear quite a bit from years of eating raw (she was started on raw later in life). Bone is extremely important but raw fed dogs actually need a lot less than people think. I feed about 10% by weight and it's really not that much at all.
1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Chasesmom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Hey everybody. Chase has made it through. A lot of huge poops and another puke (of course on the carpet -the puke not the poop) he is fine again.
And I'm done giving him soup bones.
Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Scary!! Glad to hear that Chase is all good again. :thumbsup:
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues