Not again :(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Not again :(

Postby Boss*sMom » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:24 pm

Boss has coccidia again. I don't know what else to say... I have enough medicine to make it to Monday when his next visit is, but right now with Christmas approaching our budget is tight :( I just hate him being sick all the time I feel like such a horrible mom. :'(
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Re: Not again :(

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Christmas money should always default to your pet in need. As a member of the family, he deserves that.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:01 pm

+1, I don't know about you, but horrible diarrhea always trumps christmas stuff around here.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Oh I'm sorry about Boss being sick. :(
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:58 am

I had enough left to treat him and he is fine now :) I will get another bottle today.

Just for the record, I did not "not treat" my dog because it would eat into my Christmas fund. Some people really have nothing better to do.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Adrianne » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:03 am

:( It's okay to vent to friends about money issues, it's super frustrating when vet bills come and money is already tight. I currently have 500 dollars in care credit looming over my head and it really, really sucks.

I'm sorry some jump to the worst, I'm glad Boss is doing better already.

I found this and it may help to stop a repeat episode...
Because coccidia is spread by the feces of carrier animals, it is very important to practice strict sanitation. All fecal material should be removed. Housing needs to be such that food and water cannot become contaminated with feces. Clean water should be provided at all times. Most disinfectants do not work well against coccidia; incineration of the feces, and steam cleaning, immersion in boiling water, or a 10% ammonia solution are the best methods to kill coccidia. Coccidia can withstand freezing.

Cockroaches and flies can mechanically carry coccidia from one place to another. Mice and other animals can ingest the coccidia and when killed and eaten by a dog, for instance, can infect the dog. Therefore, insect and rodent control is very important in preventing coccidiosis.

The coccidia species of dogs and cats do not infect humans.
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:04 am

Boss*sMom wrote:Some people really have nothing better to do.

What do you mean? This is a forum, on which you've posted information on your dog...people are going to read it. If it sounds fishy, you're going to be called out. You left this wide open as if the dog was never treated. That's your fault. I'm glad to hear he was treated and taken care of. I don't have anything against you personally, I just thought the way you appeared to be treating your dog was wrong...maybe in the future you'll be more clear.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:12 am

Adrianne wrote::( It's okay to vent to friends about money issues, it's super frustrating when vet bills come and money is already tight. I currently have 500 dollars in care credit looming over my head and it really, really sucks.

I'm sorry some jump to the worst, I'm glad Boss is doing better already.

I found this and it may help to stop a repeat episode...
Because coccidia is spread by the feces of carrier animals, it is very important to practice strict sanitation. All fecal material should be removed. Housing needs to be such that food and water cannot become contaminated with feces. Clean water should be provided at all times. Most disinfectants do not work well against coccidia; incineration of the feces, and steam cleaning, immersion in boiling water, or a 10% ammonia solution are the best methods to kill coccidia. Coccidia can withstand freezing.

Cockroaches and flies can mechanically carry coccidia from one place to another. Mice and other animals can ingest the coccidia and when killed and eaten by a dog, for instance, can infect the dog. Therefore, insect and rodent control is very important in preventing coccidiosis.

The coccidia species of dogs and cats do not infect humans.

Thanks Adrianne! I didnt know that flies can carry it and with our weather constantly changing for some reason the flies are horrible lately, even at my dads. I wonder if that is how he got it. We have started using a big trash can and picking up the poo from the yard regularly, and I do use an ammonia solution to clean his kennel but I'm wondering if it is not strong enough.

I apologize for not coming back to this thread. I had a long weekend and not much time for the internet. My dogs get wonderful care, yes someone is going to get a cheaper gift for Christmas, but my dogs get their vet care.

I wish we could use a stronger pest deterrent but with the birds we have to be very careful about what we use. We did have a problem with mice but I made some fixes around the house and started using traps so no more mice. (We live in the middle of nowhere).
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Return to Health Issues