nylabone...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

nylabone...

Postby tigerstripe11 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:59 pm

is it safe? i was in the pet store and a lady said to her husband that nylabone is bad for dogs. so instead they got rawhides. which one is better? i picked up a nylabone natural edible one, is that a good one? my puppy is getting neutered tomorrow and he is going to need something to do for a couple days while the stitches heel. any suggestions?
tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Re: nylabone...

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:11 pm

I personally do use either. The rawhides don't digest well, and the Nyla Bones break in lil pieces that get stuck and hurt mine when pooping.

Edited 1 time due to submitting early on phone accidentally.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby tigerstripe11 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Curly_07 wrote:I personally do use either. The rawhides don't digest well, and the Nyla Bones break in lil pieces that get stuck and hurt mine when pooping.

Edited 1 time due to submitting early on phone accidentally.

do you have any suggestions for keeping my pup busy, so he's not jumping around?
tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:37 pm

Work to eat toys and games work great! Stuffed Kongs, Tug a Jugs, etc...there is a thread around here somewhere with more suggestions. Just search for "work to eat".

Curly_07
Regulator

Postby turtle » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Nylabone makes a bunch of different chews. Some are not so good and too soft for pit bulls who are know for being hard chewers.

I use the Nylabone Original in the Souper size. It is pretty tough and my dog likes it but she only chews off small slivers at a time so they don't seem to hurt her any. She's been chewing those for 10 yrs now.

The Galileo chew toys are also very tough, tougher than the Original Souper Nylabone but my dog doesn't like them as well. There are also Big Dog Chews by Nylabone and they are tough like the Galileo ones.

I would not use any of the "edible" Nylabones, if you have not opened the one you got, you might take it back and exchange it for a Original Souper or other chew toy.

And I never give rawhides as they are known for not being very digestible and getting stuck in a dog's intestines. Plus some of the ones from overseas are cured with arsenic which is poisonous.

The only edible chews I give are Bully Sticks but they are kind of rich and don't last long so she does not get them often.

A large black Kong toy filled with canned dog food and frozen is a good thing to give a young dog to keep them occupied. If you look on here, there are other suggestions of things to use to fill a Kong toy so they have to work at it.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Murfins » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:14 pm

:goodpost:

My dogs have been chewing on Nylabones for 14+ years and never had any issues - but they have all been appropriate chewers who didn't break off more than small slivers which pass without issue.

I gave rawhides a couple times when I first got dogs and they either would end up vomiting or gagging on long stringy pieces - I refuse to give them.

Bully sticks are great for special chewing treats but some of mine will get diarrhea if they eat too much or too often. I like them a lot for my Chi who does not show any interest in any other form of chew toy/treat - so she gets them at least once a week and they help her teeth/gums.

I will not give any kind of treats like greenies, "edible" nylabones or the like.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby spammie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:41 pm

I agree with turtle.
The durable Nylabones can break off into rice sized pieces..I've never had a problem with them. We also use several different work to eat toys
spammie
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:12 pm

My dogs can't be bothered with nylabones, but we use rawhide retriever rolls all the time here (under careful supervision) and have never had a problem.

I second the work to eat toys though. We rely heavily on those when Obi's back flares up.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby mtlu » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:21 pm

We do almost exactly what turtle does too but Molly seems to have grown out of her chewing phase. We used to use the Nylabones that chip off into really small pieces (to reduce the risk of blockage). We still use kongs as a time consuming treat (she is actually okay with the red ones) and bully sticks (last about 10 minutes).

I worry about how long it takes rawhides to digest. Molly once threw up half of a compressed rawhide treat (they are supposed to break down faster) about 18 hrs after it was given to her so that was the end of rawhide treats for her. Pig's ears last about 2 minutes so that's more of a special treat rather than something to occupy her time.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby july_hymn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:05 pm

Pig's ears over here. Greta can chew on one for upwards of 20-25 minutes and she is a strong chewer. She also loves her Kong wobbler. And my MIL has a toy (don't know what it's called) that is kind of star-shaped that you put treats in and the dog has to bite it for them to come out (it's like a smooshy plastic) which Greta LOVES. When the treats are done we have to take it away 'cause she'll destroy the toy (found out the hard way) but she really likes playing with it.

I have tried the frozen Kong thing a couple times and Greta always manages to get it out in one frozen glob after like 10 minutes, then she'll eat the whole thing and vomit up a half-frozen mess. lol dummy.
july_hymn
Matured Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:48 pm

We have the big Galileo bones and they last a long time, at least a year, and we have never had any problems with them. I don't give them rawhides for the same reasons the other people don't: chemicals, digestion issues, and choking hazard. I get them bully sticks once in a while for a treat, but they don't last long, and I've gotten them deer antlers a couple of times.
I noticed nylabone has come out with a "hollow stick" durable chew that I might have to try out. Roscoe just chews up black kongs so I think I might try this out to give him something to put stuff in and see if it holds up.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:54 pm

spammie wrote:I agree with turtle.
The durable Nylabones can break off into rice sized pieces..I've never had a problem with them. We also use several different work to eat toys

:goodpost:

+ DEER ANTLERS!!!
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitsnok » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:13 pm

We swear by Galileo bones as well. The ones we have now are juuuuust about due to be trashed, but we got them LAST September, when boss and ollie came to live with us! They are the ONLY thing that we are able to keep around. Black kongs are even destroyed within an hour...Occasionally if I happen to be at wal mart or something and see the regular "Super durable" nylabone i'll grab one or two...they're only like $7 at wal mart, but don't last nearly as long as the galileos.

I have always avoided rawhides because I worry about them causing blockages. I have heard they aren't digestible or something like that. Plus they get all soggy and that grosses me out, haha. The Nylabones (Galileo and other super durable ones) get worn down in tiny shavings (for lack of a better word?) so I never worry about them causing a problem (other than being really painful to step on!) They are expensive but totally worth it! I order them on Amazon for about half what they cost at the store, so it's not too bad!
pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues