Shaking head....?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Shaking head....?

Postby irkenequine » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:23 am

and the slow kill method is absolutely NOT a recommended method of HW treatment.

It absolutely is here. A month of doxycycline followed by monthly doses of HW prevention and yearly tests and bloodwork to track the status.

I don't know how you plan on doing the fast kill with no immiticide? No clinic in my state has had access to it except for EMERGENCY and special cases since August at least, I think is the first time I saw the letter circulate...I actually read the letter myself FROM the company at my roommate's clinic. Prior to that, my vet advised the slow-kill and it worked beautifully for us. And not only my personal GP vet, but the board-certified specialty vets that I work with.

There have been LIMITED and rare cases of ivermectin breakthroughs in Louisiana I believe (at least thats what the Advantage Multi rep said when she did a presentation a few months ago) which is why I use a moxidectin based formula on my dogs.
irkenequine
Newborn Bully

Postby starrlamia » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:25 am

Um, Canada is south of Alaska, and a mentioned before there are heartworm free areas in the country... Maybe we count as the Arctic...

Sent from my Nexus S
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby irkenequine » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:52 am

Um, Canada is south of Alaska, and a mentioned before there are heartworm free areas in the country... Maybe we count as the Arctic...

Well aware, lived in Newfoundland for a college exchange. :tongue:

Also well aware there are areas free of HW's, which is why I said...
Yeah of course I forgot that disclaimer, it comes down to where you live. But if you're anywhere south of Maine and Alaska in the continental US...

I don't know why there's a stink about reasons NOT to give HW prevention. Anywhere that has mosquitos at any point during the year puts your dog at risk. Do I think year round prevention is necessary for EVERY dog in EVERY climate? No. But it sure as chocolate is for me. According to the HW world, my dogs and I exist within the "deadly zone" so I am manic with good reason. But there isn't one state in the continental US that has NO heartworms. Not Montana, not North Dakota...its present in every single state. Thats a good enough reason for me.
irkenequine
Newborn Bully

Postby Shoshana » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Without knowing where the OP lives it's difficult to say whether stopping the HW meds is a bad idea or not. Here in Central Texas, Peanut's on HW meds year round without a prob. No flea/tick meds tho.

If you are worried about the headshaking, I'd say a vet is a good idea.
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Previous

Return to Health Issues