Chicken jerky treats from China

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Chicken jerky treats from China

Postby Red » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:46 pm

There are probably more links about this, but I wanted to remind people about the health concerns involving pet treats from China. My dogs dermatologist sent me an e-mail today, wanting to make sure I was aware of it. I went on line to see if there were any recent updates but it seems that the situation is about the same as before, contaminant not identified but dogs that have died or became ill after eaten chicken jerky.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm280586.htm
Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: Chicken jerky treats from China

Postby BabyReba » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:07 am

god, i'm so sick of turning over packages of dog chewy things and treats and finding that most of them are made in china. it's absurd.

thanks for sharing this info. everyone should check the backs of their packages of bully sticks, rawhides, jerky treats and other products to find the "product of XXXCountryXX" label. you'd be surprised how many U.S. based companies source their edibles from China.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby heartbullies » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:25 am

Even the Dogswell brand stuff!

Lots are irradiated, too.

Finding domestically produced dog treats shouldn't be so hard, especially here where even the laziest locovores can eat a whole meal all produced within 2 or 3 hours of the city.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:32 am

I made a self-embarrassing scene at Costco last week when I picked up a bag of duck treats for Ruby and read on the back 'From China' - I'm at the point where I don't want to buy anything edible exported from there until they get their poop together! I'm going to be ordering some bully sticks soon (Val, want to go in on an order?) and may see what they have for chicken, too... I like the chicken or duck strips for everyday light snacks or small rewards vs the good longer chew of a bully stick.
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:26 pm

Ugh, thanks for the link, I hadn't seen anything on this yet.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:11 pm

BabyReba wrote:god, i'm so sick of turning over packages of dog chewy things and treats and finding that most of them are made in china. it's absurd.

It is. I have been doing orders on line or have that couple brands of treats or chewies I can get at Petsmart or local feed store, that are made in USA.I used to buy Costo duck fillets and chicken jerky a lot, for the price and the fact that the dogs loved them, but stopped doing so when these warnings became more significant.

It was in the news this morning too.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby MissKitty » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:30 pm

BabyReba wrote:god, i'm so sick of turning over packages of dog chewy things and treats and finding that most of them are made in china. it's absurd.

thanks for sharing this info. everyone should check the backs of their packages of bully sticks, rawhides, jerky treats and other products to find the "product of XXXCountryXX" label. you'd be surprised how many U.S. based companies source their edibles from China.

^ This.

I am so glad I only have one dog, I started making my own treats.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:59 pm

I bought the chicken about 7 years ago from Costco, they smelled like a Chinese grocery store/moth balls, I refused to give them to the dogs after the first time. I just did not trust them.

If you get the bully sticks from Costco they are from Argentina or Brazil. (at least last time I looked)
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Thank you for sharing, I sent them to all the trainers I work with. Someone just donated a bunch of something I believe would fit into that category to the shelter so I sent it there as well.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby turtle » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:53 pm

Thanks for posting that link. I hope the info will be passed along to all dog owners.

I do not trust anything edible from China, whether it is for people or for pets.

Does anyone remember the news story a few years ago about how Chinese babies were getting sick and dying because of an additive in cough syrup? It was something dangerous put in the cough syrup over there because it was cheaper and the cough syrup maker could save money...

Any country that does not value the lives of its own children and babies certainly does not value the lives of our pets.

Also remember the news story about how many of the children's toys made in China had lead based paint on them... and I think some of the pottery from China has lead glazes.

I don't even like to buy dog toys made in China but so many of them are from there. I bought a Darwin Frog for my old girl a few weeks ago and it is made in China so I do wonder how safe even the rubber toys are.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:24 am

YEARS ago, I used to feed the Costco chicken jerky treats. We never had any problems with them. It sucked to stop feeding them when the reports started coming out about the problems -- but wanted to be safe, not sorry.
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby july_hymn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:10 am

does anybody have any good online sources for doggy treats that aren't made in China? After this story came out I went and checked the bags of three different types of treats I recently bought and ALL of them were made in China! Jeez!
july_hymn
Matured Bully

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:56 pm

K9 Kraving is made in Baltimore, MD. Since hearing the praises of Amie & Baby Reba I have been on the lookout. Finally in my area we stared getting some food and treats.

After yesterday I was thinking about all the treats I feed and how only the ones that don't have labels, aka 'dried meat bits', are the ones I take for granted. So I e-mailed K-9 Kraving at like 9:00 PM yesterday. When I went in to my e-mail THIS MORNING at 7:00 AM I already had an answer. I took out some of our exchange, but as copied, this is what they said. I also replied back and told her how impressed I was that all ingredients are from North America (WOOT!)
They have Youtube videos to watch too.

Link to purchase> http://www.k-9kraving.com/pages/purchasing.html

Good morning and thank you for choosing K-9 Kraving.
We DO pride ourselves immensely on using products from the US.
Below is the summary of where our ingredients for K-9 Kraving food & treats come from:

· Beef – Baltimore, MD
· Chicken – Pennsylvania
· Duck – (two locations) Indiana & Pennsylvania
· Turkey – Pennsylvania
· Elk (frozen) – Canada(federally regulated farm-raised)
· Elk Antlers – Montana (naturally shed)
· Whole Mackerel – Canada (ethoxyquin free)
· Sweet Pot., Broccoli, Carrots – in-season Mid-Atlantic/Local --- off season California
· Supplement Mix – Trowe Nutrition (US plant)

Thank you for asking.
Boesl Packing / K-9 Kraving - National Sales & Marketing
E - info@k-9kraving.com
W - www.k-9kraving.com
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Timas Mom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:08 pm

I only carry Puppy Love products...local for me here in Canada.

I tell people all the time who come in and no one listens!
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Murfins » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Zukes are made in the USA http://www.zukes.com/

Buddy Biscuits are as well http://www.cloudstar.com//Default.asp? and 10% goes to charity

I know I have bought lots of others but those are the two that I can think of at the moment
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues