Found this guy today...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Found this guy today...

Postby Apbt4life » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:13 am

So I took my 2 dogs and my sister in laws dog to the base ball park like I normally do, and I saw this dog crossing the street limping and the poor guy almost got hit a few times by different cars. Next thing you know he is playing :yipee: with all the dogs having fun :run: . Eventually it was time to go and I couldnt just leave him there so i brought him to my house. He is about 5 or 6 months tops. He still has all his baby teeth acts like a puppy and his pads are still pinkish.

I bathed him and I noticed he has some bald spots on his head and side of his face and scabs on his ears. I took him to my vet and she said it was some type of bacteria, fungus on his ears and that he had ring worm on his head. So she gave me some ointments for me to give to him, i guess we will see how that works out. What do you guys think it is? Could the bald spots be possible mange? BTW he has no chip...

Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Re: Found this guy today...

Postby star_frances » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:52 am

Did the vet do a skin scraping or some other tests to determine exactly what it is? Ring worm is highly contagious, so be careful with that in regards to yourself and other pets. Thank you for helping the pup out, hopefully you can locate his owner!
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Apbt4life » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:06 pm

its only been a day but it seems like its ringworm. If the antibiotics dont work in the next week then we will do a skin scrape to see if its possible mange. As for now the pup has no chip and there is no owner to be found.
Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:39 pm

He's cute! I like your tile floor, BTW! Just because he doesn't have a chip doesn't mean there might not be someone looking for him... Be sure to go thru the steps of signs and alerting AC FIRST if you do plan to try to keep him. I'd keep him separated from my guys if the ringworm gets diagnosed for sure!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:03 pm

^^^ Agree with the post above about making sure you take all the right steps. Call local Animal Control and report him as found, call the local Humane Society, take an add out in the paper, whatever you can and keep records on everything.

I am sure you saw what happened with MrGrimm and the pup he saved Rocky.
I am not sure if you would intend on keeping the pup but if you do then you need to make sure you take all the necessary steps.

If your dogs are wormed a case of ringworm shouldn't be a huge deal. Best to try and keep the pup isolated anyways just in case.
Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Postby turtle » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Ringworm is actually a fungus and not a worm... It is very contagious so be sure to wash your hands after you pet him and wash any bedding the pup may have laid on.

You can buy the anti fungus cream for human athlete's foot and that works very well for ringworm. Just apply it a few times a day and it should get rid of the ringworm pretty quickly.

He's a handsome fellow, thank you for helping him. Poor pup, he could have easily been road pizza...
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Libby » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Aww poor buddy! He lucked out to come across you when he did.

The spots on his ears kind of resemble fly strike to me.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Apbt4life » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:02 am

thanks for the advice ill keep you guys posted.
Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:39 pm

What a lucky munchkin! Props to you for taking him in and now taking care of his ills. He sure is a cutie! :)
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Not only is ringworm easily transfered to your other pets, you need to be on the lookout yourself. Wash your hands after messing with the pup. 10 years ago when I got my cat, the whole family got ringworm, all the people and dogs too.

Please put up vauge signs [Found male dog - call to describe] in the area you found him. He looks healthy otherwise, and if he were my pup who maybe slipped out of the gate, I'd be frantic looking for him.
Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Apbt4life » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Update, well as for now there is no owner to be found. The pound along with pet stores around the area have my info about the found dog, including CL. We named him Rocko and has been having lots of fun with my dogs. If the owner comes around awesome, if not it looks like i might keep the "little" guy. BTW his ring worm/fungus is pretty much gone on his head and around his ear, i just got to keep treating it some more and itll be 100%. :)
Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Return to Health Issues