So worried about my Xena

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: So worried about my Xena

Postby Kate&David » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:50 am

Thanks guys, we're going tonight at 7. I hate having to take her cos she doesn't like it there but her snout is all swollen on one side now and it's kind of pulling her eyelid down. :((((
Kate&David
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:24 am

Kate&David wrote:Thanks guys, we're going tonight at 7. I hate having to take her cos she doesn't like it there but her snout is all swollen on one side now and it's kind of pulling her eyelid down. :((((

Xena and you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 pm

I hope the vet can help. :hug:
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Kate&David » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:54 pm

She has an infection in her tooth and that's what causing the problem with her eye. She had a shot of antibiotic, cream for the eye and I have to continue that for 6 days. That is a whole lot of meds with the kidney and liver stuff...

He also gave me a special kind of paste that is used for dogs and piglets as a dietary and energy supplement that I have to give her 5 times a day. He said it is like having an IV of energy so I hope that will help.

The loss of appetite is due to the fact that having kidney and liver failure is like feeling nauseous all the time and the antibiotics won't help.

We had a good talk, he is a great vet, I've spoken to him on the phone every day for the last 3 weeks. I think that is great. He did say that I have to realise that a dog could not be any worse off than she is and that any other breed of dog would probably have given up by now. He was encouraged by the fact that she kept trying to jump off the table and was sniffing around and alert. He said I have to look out for those signs and when they are no longer there I will know. But he thinks we have more time, who knows how long...

When we came home we had a friend come around with her two little kids and Xena enjoyed just lying on her sofa watching them play and getting hugs. Can't wait for the weekend now and the Christmas holidays when I'll be with her all the time.

Thank you so much for your support, it means a lot. xxx
Kate&David
Bully Ambassador

Postby Kate&David » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:27 pm

Oh and my other dog Kheops is being a sooky la la. I sent him to D's ex for the day, we are friends and he lived with her until he was 4, so that Xena could rest. Well he refused to even drink water all day let alone eat!
Kate&David
Bully Ambassador

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:03 pm

I'm so pleased you found the cause for her swelling! I sure hope you can have some more time with her!!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Peneloki » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:07 pm

I am glad the infection will be cured with the antibiotics. Keeping you all in my thoughts continuously. And glad you will be with her nonstop for the holidays. :hug:
Peneloki
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Wishing you and Xena many happy moments together and a lovely holiday.

Poor Kheops! I'm sure he'll be fine.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kate&David » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:07 am

I forgot to mention that the vet thinks that she might also have Cushing's Syndrome. But he doesn't think that it is worth treating it because the medication will cut her appetite all together and she doesn't need anymore weight loss. My poor girly!
Kate&David
Bully Ambassador

Postby julie64 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:02 am

Glad you found out the source of her swelling. Good thoughts to you and your beautiful girl. :hug:
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kate&David » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:33 pm

It's really hard for to assess whether she is stable or getting worse. She is not getting better. But she fights so hard.

She throws up a lot and drinks masses of water. We struggle to find food that she will actually eat to start off with. I've spent masses on all kinds of meat to try and now we're doing babyfood, she eats tiny portions.

She loves her cuddles and wants to sleep in the bed with us all the time, which we let her do despite the accidents.

Today when I came in I fed her and she went out in the front garden and looked like she wanted to go further so I got her leash and she wagged her tail. I thought I would just take her around the block. Well as we got to the corner of our street, her head was hanging lower and lower and finally she stopped and she was still standing but with her head down and her nose on the ground. It was awful, she's still too heavy for me to carry more than a few metres, I was totally distraught I thought she was going to die right there in the street. But I managed to call a friend who arrived in 2 minutes and carried her home for me.

David says that her kidney is totally swollen on one side, I can't tell.

I just don't know, I just keep wondering if she is suffering really badly, she doesn't show it.

Sorry this is really incoherent......
Kate&David
Bully Ambassador

Postby julie64 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:04 pm

aww Kate many hugs to you. I'm so sorry you and beautiful Xena are going through this. You are both in my thoughts.
Give her a gentle hug from me.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

So worried about my Xena

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Sorry to hear about all of this. She sounds like a very strong girl. Many hugs to you! Give you're sweet girl a kiss from Florida.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Murfins » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Knowing when to let them go is one of the hardest things to decide but then all of a sudden, at least in my experience, it become crystal clear that it is time. I'm trying to say that most likely, you will know with a good to great amount of certainty when it is time. :hug:
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby patty » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:46 pm

I will be thinking of Xena and sending prayers. Cuddle, snuggle and hold her tight. :hug:
patty
Forum Junky

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues