Dog Coat Color Question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Dog Coat Color Question

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:46 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151513

After looking at the thread for the mixed dog in Misc. now I'm really curious about what would be an appropriate gene sequence for our dogs. ...well especially my dog :)

I've been looking all night at the site Sarah posted. how cool!
http://abnormality.purpleflowers.net/genetics/index.htm

What is confusing to me is how do you start the sequence?
Is it easiest to start with 1 set of letters which then makes you conform to another series of letters and then because one series is correct it would lead you to another series?

Capone is white with brown
except on his face is looks dilute compared to the rest of his body
his nose is dilute, not black and has some pink on the nostrils
half faced color
amber eyes (normally look dark due to big pupils)
pink eye and lip skin
freckles /no real ticking, just spots

so I'm looking for some letters in
BB, DD, AA, SS

Would be called piebald since he has no color on his legs ? sp

"It is therefore very difficult to tell a liver from an isabella unless there is some liver/isabella in the coat
dilution gene occurs on the D locus. It is recessive, so d is dilute and D is non-dilute, and in order for a dog to be dilute it must have the genotype dd. A dog which is Dd or DD will have normal pigment."
So if Capone has a red/brown color with a dilute on his face is he dilute? dd

I'm just not sure where to start but I'm really intrigued now! thoughts?

His Litter

Him
ImageImage

His Mom (brown on her back)
ImageImage
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dog Coat Color Question

Postby Sarah » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:32 am

I'm fond of that site because it has spiffy illustrations.

Capone looks to me as if his color is probably what is generally called "lilac" in pit bulls. He is liver, so bb, and appears to me to also be dilute, so dd. That would make him "lilac", but genetically, dilute liver. (Jazzy's Veronica is that color). Capone could also just be a not very pigmented liver, though, it can be hard to tell from photos. In the litter photo, there appear to be both blue spotted and brown spotted puppies, so the parents clearly could pass on both those traits. The dam appears to be the same color as Capone, and I'm going to guess that the sire was black or (more probably) blue, with or without white. If both parents were liver, they couldn't have blue pups.

The white, you can think of as paint over the actual color of the dogs. Due to the amount and lack of pattern, it's obviously some form of piebald spotting, but I don't think that the exact genetics of white markings in dogs are 100% figured out yet. But genetically, the color of the dog is what you see in the colored regions, the white markings are separate. Here's another site with info:

http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/dogspots.html
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:03 am

Fascinating! I have a dog who is an extreme Piebald. Her only color marking are around the base of her tail... looks like she is wearing chaps. There is some skin spotting around the ears if you look close.

For the most part, she is solid white, except for her butt. She has the most awesome eyes ever. They have many colors in them. White doesn't do much for me when present in that amount (I like flash, but not excessive) but her eyes are awesome. I'm not sure I have ever seen them on another dog.
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:55 pm

Sarah wrote:I'm fond of that site because it has spiffy illustrations.

YES!

Sarah wrote:He is liver, so bb, and appears to me to also be dilute, so dd.

I would think dilute too based on what they say. His butt is vibrant, but everything else looks like he clearly hit bleach.
Sarah wrote:Capone could also just be a not very pigmented liver, though, it can be hard to tell from photos.

Sarah wrote:If both parents were liver, they couldn't have blue pups.
I did not realize that, but now I realize what the site said.

Sarah wrote:Due to the amount and lack of pattern, it's obviously some form of piebald spotting,

This part actually had me wondering what he was lol I had seen the piebald notes and felt he fit those, but because of ll the white felt he had to be the white designation.

Guess I have some more letters to figure out.
It's so much easier to see how to figure out how other things go together... genes are a bit harder

Kingsgurl wrote:Fascinating! I have a dog who is an extreme Piebald. Her only color marking are around the base of her tail... looks like she is wearing chaps.

our Jasmine is like that too, only hers is black and many of her body 'highlights' are black, but her eyes are pink, lips are black.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues