what to do for dry skin other than fish oil?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: what to do for dry skin other than fish oil?

Postby star_frances » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:30 pm

Moira has issues with fish, so I use hemp oil for her along with coconut oil. I order the Nutiva brand (USDA certified organic) of both through Amazon - you can usually find them in two-pack deals with free "Super Saver" shipping - that's two bottles of each for around the $25 mark. Quite a deal!
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Does the coconut oil have any omega properties?
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby star_frances » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:37 pm

Coconut oil is about half lauric acid, which is a medium-chain fatty acid. It is considered a "good" fat - as long as it is raw and not hydrogenated.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilovetyson » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:37 pm

I have been doing Fish oil a long time with Jade, but the foster Annabelle has a awful coat.. Due to the fleas and being hairless when she came into rescue, so I been giving her fish oil since she has been here. And i knew coconut oil was good for dogs, But.. How long does it typically take to show results on the coat on the coconut?
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:39 pm

ilovetyson wrote:I have been doing Fish oil a long time with Jade, but the foster Annabelle has a awful coat.. Due to the fleas and being hairless when she came into rescue, so I been giving her fish oil since she has been here. And i knew coconut oil was good for dogs, But.. How long does it typically take to show results on the coat on the coconut?

When Moira gets real itchy and icky I rub it right into her skin. When we had a horrifying flea outbreak this summer I'd say she got lots better within two weeks of using it that way.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Enamorada » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Organic Coconut Oil is amazing. Our dogs love the taste and their skin and coats look great. We sometimes combine salmon oil with coconut oil, but salmon oil seems to suffice in HI.
Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:37 am

never thought of using coconut oil, i give sunflower oil and olive oil for the girls and once in awhile a little bit of fishoil, but next day loose poop and upset tummies.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:42 am

PitbullLover* wrote:never thought of using coconut oil, i give sunflower oil and olive oil for the girls and once in awhile a little bit of fishoil, but next day loose poop and upset tummies.

I don't think you can/should just randomly introduce things. I think 'systems' need to get accustomed to changes and new chemistry.
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby star_frances » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:53 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:
PitbullLover* wrote:never thought of using coconut oil, i give sunflower oil and olive oil for the girls and once in awhile a little bit of fishoil, but next day loose poop and upset tummies.

I don't think you can/should just randomly introduce things. I think 'systems' need to get accustomed to changes and new chemistry.

Agreed. I'd try smaller amounts of one new thing at a time, then gradually increase if they can tolerate it. Sometimes a little canned pumpkin can help keep things firmed up as they adjust to diet changes.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby abbybaby2011 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:47 pm

i use this sometimes when i notice dryness, it works AMAZING, smells great, makes them super soft & shiny, plus im a sucker for natural products. It is a good buy.

http://americanhempstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1
abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:09 am

HappyPuppy wrote:

True, but even the smallest amount of sunseed-oil can cause upset tummies, even when introduced slowly which i do with all the things my girls get to eat.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues