Boss is hoarse...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Boss is hoarse...

Postby pitsnok » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:16 pm

Boss's voice is hoarse... it's pathetic. Otherwise, he is perfectly normal. His voice is the only thing I'm noticing that is "wrong"... so I don't feel like a vet visit is warranted yet, but I'm not sure what to do to help. I got a humidifier for his room, thinking maybe the heater and space heater have dried his throat out. It helped quite a bit the first day, (yesterday) but since then he hasn't improved any more...Presumably because his voice hasn't been able to rest, but actually it has been able to rest a lot more than normally I think, because we put up a gate, and we are able to have all three dogs out at once.
I feel like he has finally just barked himself hoarse while crated, but he hasn't been crated any more than usual, nor do I think he has been barking more than he always has...

Any suggestions on things I can do to help, or ideas on what might be going on?
pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Boss is hoarse...

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:26 pm

It's most likely from barking. It'll be hard to change/manage if you aren't there to witness it.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitsnok » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:34 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:It's most likely from barking. It'll be hard to change/manage if you aren't there to witness it.

I'm not sure what you mean. I know he barks, haha. We crate and rotate so I witness it a lot, haha. I just don't know of anything I can do to try to help. When I googled it I read to give them warm tea or something, but I just didn't want to do that before seeing if anyone had any other ideas.
pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Oh, I meant that if he's barking when you leave the house and barks while you're gone, I'm not sure how you'll solve the problem. :)
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:36 am

does he have any allergies, they can cause hoarseness too
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitsnok » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:27 pm

He does have allergies, and we have been out of benadryl for a few days. He seems to be less-raspy today. Since we installed our hallway gate he is able to be out more, therefore doesn't cry as much... so At this point I do think that was the culprit.
pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:10 am

Voice changes can also be symptoms of tumors, thyroid disease, and laryngeal paralysis. If his voice isn't recovered in a couple days, a vet visit is definitely in order.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Odnarb » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:15 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Voice changes can also be symptoms of tumors, thyroid disease, and laryngeal paralysis. If his voice isn't recovered in a couple days, a vet visit is definitely in order.

My Harry died suddenly of an acute attack of laryngeal paralysis. It's scary and can hit suddenly. I would get him checked out pronto.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby pitsnok » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:06 am

Odnarb wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:Voice changes can also be symptoms of tumors, thyroid disease, and laryngeal paralysis. If his voice isn't recovered in a couple days, a vet visit is definitely in order.

My Harry died suddenly of an acute attack of laryngeal paralysis. It's scary and can hit suddenly. I would get him checked out pronto.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sh*t. i didn't know it could end up that serious. thank you for sharing.
pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues