Brina's Paws

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Brina's Paws

Postby Enigma » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:23 am

I've noticed today that Brina has small sores on her front two paws, between her fingers. They look like this:

She is often licking her front two paws, i'm trying to prevent this, but I can't be with her 24/7. She's been doing this since she came to me 5 years ago, but this is the first time these sores appeared. What are they? Lick granuloma? The area is really hard to keep dry, because dogs sweat through their paws, it will probably take a bit longer to heal..

Is there anything I can do myself to help her get rid of it? I really don't want to drag her to the vet if it's just a minor thing and not an emergency, vet visits are really stressful for her.. :(
Enigma
Forum Junky

Re: Brina's Paws

Postby star_frances » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:06 am

Poor Brina baby =(

Are you able to email your vet and show him the photos without having to take Brina in? Maybe just to get his opinion?

I'd suggest baby socks or boots in the meantime, if she will leave them alone.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Interdigital pododermatitis?

Buddy had this a year or two ago. We had to biopsy to get a diagnosis but 8 weeks of anitibiotic treatment (convenia because she can't tolerate oral antibiotcs!!!) and it was gone for good.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/70800.htm
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Cherry » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:42 am

Antibiotics and a cone to keep them dry. Cherry gets these all the time. Hers look like raw, red blisters if I don't notice them soon enough and get them treated. She's on long term Cephalexin and it seems to help keep the yeast and staph away but they still hurt her.

I've been using Malaseb wipes and try to at least bathe her feet once a week with her shampoo.

Socks make it worse for Cherry, it keeps all the dampness in and causes yeast overgrowth or staph. Or both.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Enigma » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:02 am

Thanks! Ugh... I guess a trip to the vet is inevitable. Crap. :(

I'm washing her feet with a mild shampoo every day before we go to bed, I will probably have to wash her feet after every walk, they started salting the streets and salt will probably make it worse. I have to find a cone, I know I have a bunch of them somewhere...

Should I apply any cream on it? Would Bepanthen help in any way?

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Bepanthen

That's the only thing I have at home right now. If that's not ok, I hope the vet will give me something else.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:41 am

I wouldnt apply a cream. Just keep them clean and dry.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:05 am

Thanks! I will do that. :thumbsup:
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Our dog Diesel would get these right before he would have a problem with his Addison's Disease. They would be very painful and sometimes get very big. I would lance them to help with the irritation and pain.

It could just have been a coincidence but I think it was a low immune system reaction to various items, in his case at least.

Good luck with Brina. I agree with the keeping dry and GOOD JOB with washing them everyday. That is very devoted!
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enigma » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:44 am

Thanks!
PitBull-Lady wrote:That is very devoted!
You get used to it, Brina had so many health issues in the past, taking care of them became a routine by now. :)

Ok so after a couple of days of cleaning her paws, keeping them dry, wearing a cone when i'm not there to supervise and antibiotics, the sores are healing. The ones between her toes are gone completely and the ones on her paws are shrinking. I hope they won't come back.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Return to Health Issues