Is Cash Underweight?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Is Cash Underweight?

Postby cashisking » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:01 pm

Some family came by at Christmas and told me that they thought Cash looked skinny.
In the past I had fattened Cash up (+3-5 lbs) during the winter to keep him warm, but hadn't done that this year because he has been a 100% indoor dog.
I asked closer, dog-knowledgeable friends about Cash's condition a week later and they said they thought he looked fine. One did say he could have some meat on his bones, but the other said he looked great.

Since then, I have been working on upping his body weight- peanut butter in his kongs instead of wet dog food, more liberal with treats, slightly higher than normal food levels for meals... and he doesn't seem to be hanging on to it. I don't want to be too aggressive with it because he's kind of a lazybones.

I weighted us today on the scale- it said he was sitting around 69 lbs. That's the lowest he's ever been. He's usually mid to high 70s. Here's a photo from today.

I don't know if you can see it in the photos, but here at home, I can just barely see the end of his ribcage, and can see his back vertebrae ever so slightly. I can feel both.

For comparison, here's Cash from about a year ago. He's kind of thick here - About 75 lbs.

I wonder if it's the weather ( we've got a nice cold-snap going on) or if its his age ( he's going to be 6 in may). The weather combined with my two jobs have left me with less time to exercise him, could it just be loss of muscle mass?

Sooo...
Should I put some weight on him? I think he looks good, but am concerned about what others might think.
cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Is Cash Underweight?

Postby johnnyv412 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:13 pm

He is absolutly not underweight.
johnnyv412
Newborn Bully

Re: Is Cash Underweight?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:45 pm

Moore, looks good to me.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:17 pm

I think idealy you only want to see the last couple of ribs instead of all of them...but I don't think he's underweight and I don't think seeing the ribs on him that you can see is in anyway bad or harmful to him. You're probably helping him live long by keeping him leaner. Overall? I think he looks great!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby spammie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Kelli, stop worrying about Cash. I think he's fine looking
spammie
Regulator

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Nope - not underweight. :thumbsup:
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby ellie@ny » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:08 pm

I could take 10# off of him. :)
ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby Sarah » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:14 pm

I don't know about 10#, but if anything, I do think he's carrying a little extra.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby pblove » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:49 pm

I also think he is carrying extra weight.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:17 pm

I think he looks great for a lazy house dog. It wouldn't hurt to drop another couple pounds, but I think he looks fine.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby GSDBulldog » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:35 pm

I don't want to say he is carrying extra weight because I feel that might imply his food could/should be cut to some degree. For what I am assuming is a laid back house dog, he looks good to me. If he were to lose any weight but retain his current physique... He would be what I call "skinny-fat" (At least in humans). He looks healthy and happy to me, so I would not fret.
GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:18 pm

cashisking wrote:Some family came by at Christmas and told me that they thought Cash looked skinny.

This is likely because your family has never seen a healthy, fit dog and thinks fat dogs are "cute".

Do not fall for this. If someone tell you your dog is skinny, take it as a compliment.

Run your hands down Cash's back... if you cannot feel his hip bones EASILY, then he is just fine. If you cannnot see a minimum of 2 ribs, your dog is fat.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby cashisking » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks, guy
The family that said Cash was skinny have little chunky purse dogs, so i did blow it off a bit... but it is true that he is thinner than he used to be.
As for the proposition for Cash being capable of losing more weight... I suppose he could but I'd rather he lose weight with exercise than by lowering his food intake. His current diet yields about two cups, split into two feedings.
cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Exercise is the route to take, rather than calorie cutting. He looks like he has a winter layer on, to me - because all of his muscles are quite soft and rounded looking, instead of mostly cut and angular. Which means he's got a bit of a layer over the muscles. It's better to buy a fabric coat than make a fat dog. It's easier on the joints. :)

I noticed that my laziness caused my girl to lose muscle mass - so they can have shrinking muscles with out getting fat. It can be from lack of use or under feeding. My dogs' muscles always shrink in the winter - they've never been underfed.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:36 pm

GSDBulldog wrote:I don't want to say he is carrying extra weight because I feel that might imply his food could/should be cut to some degree. For what I am assuming is a laid back house dog, he looks good to me. If he were to lose any weight but retain his current physique... He would be what I call "skinny-fat" (At least in humans). He looks healthy and happy to me, so I would not fret.

:goodpost:

I wouldn't make him thinner but I'd work on building muscle tone.

He's such a handsome boy, though!
Amie
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues