x-rays were not great but still inconclusive. he has basically got little/no body fat left to speak of, since he's lost so much weight, so his abdominal xrays were sort of a jumble of organs sort of smushed together, which was a little bit weird to see. his liver is very small right now, vet thinks probably due to body tapping all of its fat reserves to keep going ... no signs of stones at all in the bladder or urethra, which is good. slightly enlarged spleen, which is not so good, but also not so large that he thinks it's a problem in and of itself right now. maybe indicative of or related to a larger problem, though.
but the big problem looks like his heart and maybe lungs. he has a reverse D on one side of his heart, which means that one side of his heart is, literally, shaped like a backward D. it's not huge, but it's misshapen. also, his heart is also abnormally tall so it's starting to push up on his trachea, and his lungs aren't filling as well as they should be as a result, though he's not having any obvious breathing difficulties. could be a couple of things going on ... he also has what he called premature changes in his lungs, things that usually come with age but are not common in a young dog. interstitial patterns is what he said.
best-case scenario would be that he's got something else systemic wrong that's causing anemia and that's making his heart and lungs to work harder and as a result is causing changes in the heart and lungs, or a treatable heart disease/cardiomyopathy.
worst-case scenario, which made me almost vomit, would be hemangiosarcoma in his heart, which would be virtually untreatable ... but we're hoping that's not the case, and he said that if tucker's bloodwork comes back showing improvement in his anemia and RBC, that'll be a good sign.
looks like we're going to be doing an ultrasound -- and here's the kicker: there is no veterinary cardiologist anywhere near orlando. so we have to wait for the traveling ultrasound guy to make his rounds in orlando or try to get time off to get up to the university of florida in gainesville to have it done sooner.
the vet said we can make our decision after we see the bloodwork. if it's stable or improved, he said he thinks we can wait since tucker's condition is stable and he's not in pain. if the bloodwork shows that his condition is worsening, he'd recommend trying to get the US done ASAP.
in the meantime, he wants him off the urinary diet, on a food that high protein and calories, preferably a puppy food or a performance food and depending on the bloodwork, we may try something that'll help boost his iron, too.
and i'm just about tapped out emotionally today, after all that. i was somehow expecting to go in there and find that my worrying was for nothing. i wish that was the case.