Does Merrick really make a gravy when soaked?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Does Merrick really make a gravy when soaked?

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:51 am

My dogs are bonkers about warm "something" mixed in with their kibble. Right now I feed 1/2 portion Chicken Soup and 1/2 portion The Honest Kitchen Verve. They love it b/c I make The Honest Kitchen with super warm water...but I'm looking to simplify and get away from 2 different things to feed...and also try to combat Stewie's sensitivity with his eye boogers. I can tell something is aggitating him a little bit.
I've looked and looked and I like the idea of kibble...and getting away from mixing a lot...and I really like the looks of Merrick's 5 Star Entrees...the Grammy's Chicken Pot Pie...the ingredients seem to match a lot of the Chicken Soup...and if it REALLY does make a nice gravy, I think my pups would love it? They like it warm...even in the summer...and so I could soak it for 10 mins or so with really hot water...and let it cool down to just warm. Does it really make a nice gravy? Their Chicken Soup food right now doesn't do a thing...just swells and really doesn't make any gravy.
Really wondering! I started Ruby on Chicken soup when she was only 5 months old or so when we got her. I added the Verve when they really started to not be as shiny and put on a few extra pounds when Stewie was about 1...but it's so gosh darn expensive and a pain to mix.....I'd love to very super duper slowly move them over to the Merrick. I hate canned foods...so this just seemed to really be an option for us...and make our summer vacations easier to travel with just one big bag of food. I like giving canned foods as a treat and in kongs...and Merrick looks like it has the most AMAZING selection...I really think the pups would like that!
Let me know your opinions? I know I need to make a switch to save my sanity after 2 years of doing this....and anything else you can reccomend CLOSE to the Chicken Soup would be great...but I think so far Merrick is the winner!
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Re: Does Merrick really make a gravy when soaked?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:53 am

Yes, it really does make gravy. It's not a 5 star gravy, but it's pretty neat.

I find it gimmicky personally, the food is pretty expensive. However, for your dogs, I think this might be just the ticket to save you a lot of work!! Give it a try and let us know how it goes!
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Yeah it does. It's a pretty good food too, and all the types are formulated for simple rotation. No need to do extensive mixing when rotating proteins.

Side note: Merrick does NOT make a good choice for training bait. The combo of dog spit and Merrick just makes a slimy handed handler. It is quite repulsive... Ask me how I know lol.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Well it's driving Stewie's eye-boogers crazy...poor baby has eye drainiage from foods that don't agree with him and his belly is all pink and itchy. So....no way am I gonna continue feeding Merrick. I think we will try Canidae. I only had made it to about a 50/50 of old and new food...but that was enough to make Stewie unhappy. So....if anyone knows a really good place to get Canidae for super cheap...that would be great! Poor Stewie...he seems perfectly fine...but those poor eye boogers look awful!!!
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Postby heartbullies » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:39 pm

The Merrick didn't work for my dog either. That brand, Canidae, and Innova all have multiple protein sources (like chicken and beef AND fish, for example) and multiple carb sources and lots of "extras" like cottage cheese or blueberries or whatever. He is sensitive to certain things and with all those ingredients it was impossible to figure out which one(s). He does best on a more limited-ingredient diet, it seems. All kibbles make a nasty (or yummy, if you're a dog!) gravy when you add warm water. I also put his fish oil in it so the gravy is extra nasty AKA yummy. And the water seems to slow down the rate at which he inhales his dinner.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Maybe try BG? It's made by the same company but is a single protein no grain food. I'm also a huge fan of Fromm. Another single protein grain free food is all of their 5 star line and they all cost about the same.

I used to feed Canidade until a few years ago they switched the formula without warning, not even a sticker on the bag and it made both of my iron stomach dogs sick. Also its made by Diamond and that company has had too many recalls for personal comfort.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:14 pm

Awe, that stinks! I actually bought a bag of chicken pot pie for my dogs as a treat dinner after a long day at work when it was on sale this week!

For allergy dogs, I've been very happy with Natural Balance and Taste of the Wild. Good Luck!
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:20 pm

I don't mean to hijack, but one of Susie's eyes is usually wet where you might see eye boogies. Do you think this is a sign that her food is disagreeing with her? It's not red at all. I've been feeding her Wellness for the last year or so, she's probably ten or eleven years old.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:01 pm

dogs4jen wrote:I don't mean to hijack, but one of Susie's eyes is usually wet where you might see eye boogies. Do you think this is a sign that her food is disagreeing with her? It's not red at all. I've been feeding her Wellness for the last year or so, she's probably ten or eleven years old.

If its just one eye and not both, I'd look for other causes of irritation, such as a small meibomian (eyelid gland) tumor. These are very common in older dogs, and often small enough they aren't noticed until you roll the eyelid back.

If its both eyes, It could be the food. I don't understand how, but lots of people comment that eyes are clearer when a food works well with a dog.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:33 am

dogs4jen wrote:I don't mean to hijack, but one of Susie's eyes is usually wet where you might see eye boogies. Do you think this is a sign that her food is disagreeing with her? It's not red at all. I've been feeding her Wellness for the last year or so, she's probably ten or eleven years old.

I was told by my vet that only if both eyes are watery (Stewie is white...so he gets that red yeast growing on his face) under his eyes get all gross. Too many carbs or grasses cause that in him. So I just put him back on the Chicken Soup dog food that has always worked well...and so I'll see how he is doing in a few days. Instead of mixing the Honest Kitchen with it, I might just transition them fully to Chicken Soup...it's always worked so well...I've been using it since both were pups and only added in the Verve because they are such hard players and runners that I wanted to be sure they had plenty of protein....my vet suggested maybe adding a little bit of Innova Evo wet to it. And I may try that...but I'll just cut out the Verve...give them lots of Raw bones and treats which they love....and see how it goes. I didn't really WANT to switch. I was trying to make it easier for traveling....but we'll see if I can cupplement enough with Raw and some canned. I'm just sick of mixing THK.
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues