"Cigarette Smoke can cause Allergic Dermatitis in Dogs"

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

"Cigarette Smoke can cause Allergic Dermatitis in Dogs"

Postby Jorsher » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:51 pm

I have a bad habit, smoking. Years ago I gave up my rule of smoking only outside. A couple weeks ago I started only smoking outside again, because I realized the obvious that it's not good for the dog to be around it.

Molly has been on Atopica for a couple years now because her allergies are extreme and she would scratch/lick herself raw. A couple weeks ago she ran out, and I didn't have time to get more until the weekend due to the vet's schedule conflicting with my work schedule. Usually after 2-3 days it's very noticeable she needs her meds, however by time the weekend came I noticed the allergies didn't seem to be bothering her...

Been a couple weeks and she's still not licking/scratching like she was in the past. I'm considering it may just be a seasonal thing, but, I don't recall her allergies subsiding the past couple winters... I'll know for sure in a few months, but at this point it seems my horrible habit of smoking cigarettes was to blame.

I'm not sure how I missed that it could be a potential allergen in the past, but I will be extremely excited if I can save $200+ a month...

Now if I can just get the frequent ear infections under control!
Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: "Cigarette Smoke can cause Allergic Dermatitis in Dogs"

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:54 pm

You could save even more money if you quit smoking as well ;)
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby pblove » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:20 pm

cigerette smoke is also responsible for bladder cancer in dogs and cats.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pacopoe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 am

pblove wrote:cigerette smoke is also responsible for bladder cancer in dogs and cats.

I was just about to say, just remember that both dogs and kids have much smaller organs than us with which to process toxins, so second hand smoke can really do a number on them. I used to smoke and would be sure to do it outside just to spare my dog (and roommates... and furniture lol )
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jorsher » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 pm

pacopoe wrote:
pblove wrote:cigerette smoke is also responsible for bladder cancer in dogs and cats.

I was just about to say, just remember that both dogs and kids have much smaller organs than us with which to process toxins, so second hand smoke can really do a number on them. I used to smoke and would be sure to do it outside just to spare my dog (and roommates... and furniture lol )

Yeah, I used to smoke outside only, then got lazy. I live alone so nobody complains, and the people that do come over are mostly smokers... I kept most of it in the home office, but Molly is always just a few feet from me so she's probably inhaled a bit.

No more!
Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues