The return of the rash

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

The return of the rash

Postby BigBadPibbul » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:51 am

Loki's rash is back... Again.
We've been giving Chlorpheniramine Maleate Tabs with crazy success since the vet prescribed them along with antibiotics at our first visit for the rash.
Up until the last two times she's gotten it the rash went away within a day or two of giving her the Chlor Tabs. Last time took five days before it went down, it wasn't as bad as it had been up to that point but it was more stubborn.
This time though it's worse than it's ever been, she's had it well over a week, it almost went away and then came back, now it's showing no signs of letting up although it has gotten better. Usually it's got a very mild yeasty smell to it, this time Loki STINKS. Before when the area beneath her collar is involved it's very mild and is usually the first area to go away, this time though it's got to be the worst area involved.
We're going to the vet again mid week unless someone cancels tomorrow or Saturday and we're on the call in list if a slot opens up next week before her appointment, but I'm worried about my little goober monster right now! I'm tempted to see if there's an opening with one of the crappy vets just to get her in sooner even though her doctor is the best in town.
Loki had another cool water undercarriage soak today, and an oatmeal bath afterwards to help soothe her skin but it hasn't seemed to help much at all, we've got her on towels washed in hypoallergenic laundry soap and run through an extra rinse cycle anyway. She's inside except to potty and naked unless she's got the Halti on for a potty break since the Halti touches less of her rash than a collar or her walking harness. She's still getting the Chlor Tabs as per the vet tech we talked to when we made the appointment.
We're both going nuts, Loki's itchy and I can't seem to find anything that helps.
Have any of you seen this kind of thing? Is there anything more I can do to try to give her a little relief until vet day comes? Do dogs develop resistances to allergy meds? If so do you think adding in a Benadryl might be a good idea?
I got her to sit still enough to get some pictures so you guys can see how nasty it is this time. We've been having good luck keeping her distracted from scratching and licking the last couple of days, she likes to destroy things and we decided to let her tear up her toys instead of making her play with different ones since she stays focused on shredding the toy and not on itching.
Here's the tummy, it's been more extensive before but it's usually not so bright. It's hard to see in the picture but up by the furthest right nipple on the bottom of the picture there are several little spots that look like tiger stripes where the rash has moved up into the black fur and Loki's licking and scratching is making the fur thin out a little.
Her neck, this one's really bad, there's a couple places where it's starting to weep a little bit but it looks 200% better than it did the other day when we started letting her go naked. Just for the record Loki hasn't had much fur on her throat or the white parts of her underside since she was little, it's always grown in really patchy and thin, sometimes the fur will just rub right off with a wash cloth, there is a little hair loss involved due to the rash especially up closer to the back of her jaw but 90% of the hair that should be in that area wasn't there before the rash started.
Armpits, it's most difficult to keep her from scratching at them and it seems they're the itchiest places of all even though the rash isn't as bright or as ugly in them.
Finally her chin, I can't tell if that's a little spot where the rash is coming up on her chin or if she rubbed herself on something or bonked her chin getting in the car, going to keep an eye on that too.
She's also got a little bit of rash starting on either side of her vulva where the little folds are but it doesn't seem to be getting worse or spreading.
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Re: The return of the rash

Postby Azul » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:24 pm

That looks really uncomfortable. Poor Loki. I don't know the history of Loki's rash, but has the vet tried giving her steriods (such as prednisolone) to help with the itching? When is her vet appointment? I used to have a spray that I got from my equine vet that had betamethasone in it. I really reduced inflammation and itching a lot. I'm not sure if you can get it over the counter or not. You might want to try a topical anti itch product used for insect bites. Let us now how it goes!
Azul
Newborn Bully

Postby BigBadPibbul » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:59 am

It's a bit better today, not a whole lot but improvement is always welcome with nasties. It's not so angry looking, where it was evil bright red it's gone more peachy, the spots that were weepy are scabbing up. Looking like it may even be gone by our appointment on Wednesday. I almost didn't post about it but I'm happy I did, this time we'll be going to the vet with a healing rash again but I'll have pictures to show the vet how nasty it got since I took pictures to show you guys.
This rash is confusing, comes and goes at random, no real apparent reason, food changes and environmental changes don't seem to make a difference, only thing that's different is how long it's been lasting the last couple times.
She's still itchy this evening but she's not digging at herself anymore, just scratching when it's really itchy so bonus for Loki there.
We'll let you guys know what we find out at the vet when we get home after the appointment.
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:53 am

Looking a lot better today. Still obviously not healthy, the patch on her neck is still raised as is the majority of the affected area on her belly and in her armpits. The color is still a pretty even slightly rosy peach but not quite as red as yesterday. The stink is now gone thank god. She's still scratching but not nearly as much, I smoothed some corn starch over the bad places this morning, Loki was exceptionally happy about this and didn't scratch for a good two hours afterwards so I put a little more on at lunch time and before bed.
I wish the vet would have had an opening Saturday, hopefully somebody will cancel or reschedule before out appointment, I'd really like her doctor to see the rash and not just the aftermath but I'm not going to stop the starch or her allergy pills just so he can see it.
Poor Loki is so confused right now, I've been keeping her inside and she wants to be outside where she can dig and be a wild woman. We've been playing a near constant game of fetch all day to try and keep her occupied and give her an outlet for all that pent up energy. It never ceases to amaze me just how many times these dogs will bring the ball back and beg you to throw it back through the house, I mean you could run their little legs down to stumps playing fetch and they'd still come back for more! My dad's Aussie quits after about 15 or 20 throws, you have to hide the ball to get Loki to quit for a while and take a rest.
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues