Very whiny (sprained toe)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Very whiny (sprained toe)

Postby ams036 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Ammo is very whiny today and for parts of last night after our visit to the vet. We thought he had broke his toe (from left foot) but thankfully it isn't broken and is just very badly sprained and his nail bed was also twisted. The vet gave us some anti-inflammatories and he had a shot of morphine at the office before we left. They decided not to splint because stuff like that can be very traumatic for him and the vet felt it would do more harm than good. He is limping around, not putting any weight on it, but he just keeps whining. He can be a very vocal dog, so whining is not out of character for him, but to this extent it is. I am worried he may be in pain and maybe the anti inflammatories may not be enough. I am trying to decide if we should go back (vet offices are very stressful for him) or just keep him rested and attempt some ice. Just looking for some advice if anyone has dealt with a sprained toe before.
ams036
Adolescent Bully

Re: Very whiny (sprained toe)

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Maybe call the vet and see if there is anything else you can give in addition to the anti inflammatory. :dunno:
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby ams036 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:32 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Maybe call the vet and see if there is anything else you can give in addition to the anti inflammatory. :dunno:

I called the ER vet we went to yesterday and the receptionist was less than helpful. I explained how he was just seen and how whiny he is and she told me "Well you could bring him in and they could examine him but they might not give him anything and just say it'll take time. I'm not sure what they would do" So I asked her if she could ask what they recommend since the vet can be very stressful for him and she said "Well they can't tell me anything without seeing him first." Which I don't understand considering they JUST saw him yesterday afternoon :dunno: She just kept telling me they would most likely not do anything.
ams036
Adolescent Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:44 pm

I'd do some research to see if it's safe for dogs, but for me soaking in epsom salt helps. I had a nasty cat bite that made my finger twice the size it should be...it felt like it was on fire. Only the epsom salt helped.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby ams036 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:02 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:I'd do some research to see if it's safe for dogs, but for me soaking in epsom salt helps. I had a nasty cat bite that made my finger twice the size it should be...it felt like it was on fire. Only the epsom salt helped.

I didn't even think of this, I use epsom salt all the time. Thankfully he is SO much better today. He wants to run around and play so badly but I have to keep him rested. Poor guy is going to be miserable in a few days having to stay "calm".
ams036
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues