Puking weekly, what do I need to test for? Help

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Puking weekly, what do I need to test for? Help

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:14 am

Sorry we haven't been around, Bentley and I are still alive and kicking.. barely, haha. I have had a lot of family things happen, and a lot of other personal things happen.

.. but I'm hoping you guys can help me. Bentley has been throwing up more than a dog should. I noticed he was doing it about a month ago. He puked a couple times, and then the next week did it again... but it always stopped. I honestly just took it as he ate his food too fast, or drank too much water. Well he just started doing it again last week. He puked twice last week, and has puked once this week so far.

I have no idea why, and I have no idea what to have him tested for. I am going to take him to the vet because I'd rather be safe than sorry, it's not normal for him to be puking weekly... Do I have them run a full blood test, what do I do? What kind of tests should I ask for?

Thank you
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Puking weekly, what do I need to test for? Help

Postby Cat24 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:33 am

A few questions

is he puking before or after meals or at any specific time?

What is he puking up? water? food? yellowish bile? foam?

Does he have any other behaviors that might cause vomiting? licking floors or paws obsessively etc?
Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:41 am

Well he has puked after eating a couple times because he pukes up his entire meal, and other times it's bile... I should say most of the time it's bile.

No other behaviors that would make him vomit that I know of, and I spend a lot of time with him... So, probably not.
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cat24 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 am

I know that my girls ran into frequent puking when I worked late and they missed their feeding times or their schedules were thrown off from something else. Either I would get home to puddles of bile, or they would hoover their food and then puke it right back up. I'd try splitting up feedings a bit and see if that helps I've found two feedings a day works great for my girls, but some dogs might do better on 3 meals if that's an option. I'm a huge proponent of the K.I.S.S principal, if changing the feeding schedule fixes things then that's about as simple as it gets :)

If that doesn't cut it, then blood work and maybe an x-ray to make sure everything is where it should be and nothing extra is hanging out in there and mucking up the plumbing.
Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Postby BabyReba » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:30 am

partial obstruction in his digestive tract, maybe? something in his belly that shouldn't be there? like a piece of toy that he can't puke up?

xrays might be able to confirm whether it's one of those things ...
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:32 pm

BabyReba, that's the first thing that I thought of... I'm not too sure, I'm going to take him to the vets and see what they suggest.

As far as feeding goes, he gets fed in the morning and at night. I couldn't do afternoon feedings on some days, so I don't think that would work as far as upping his feeding schedule. I know he has some anxiety about me being gone, as he had seperation anxiety bad when he was younger... I don't think that's it though, because it will happen at random times.
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues