Got some bad news :(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Got some bad news :(

Postby loye » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Well, I haven't been on in a while, but as some of you know we've been battling allergies w/ Monty for the last few years. However, back in November we thought he was having a major allergy issue...but knew something else was going on. He dropped down to 98 lbs (from 110), was lethargic and vommitting. We took him to the vet, they ran bloodwork...nothing major. Ok. Called his other vet that he usually goes to (this one is a little farther away and was unable to get to it the first time) so after about 2 wks of no change he started to get a little worse, lost some more weight (91lbs), had loss of muscle on his skull and a potbelly. Yet again...bloodwork, which showed low rbc and high wbc. I got "we have no idea" wanted to to about $1200 in tests after they tried medication. Well, they put him on a med and he got better...til about 1.5 wks ago. First sign he was getting sick again we got his rx refilled and started the meds...5 days into the meds he was getting worse not better, so we decided to try another vet. Again...bloodwork. Was told all organs are working fine, he is in fact anemic (which we knew) and "his stomach looks big" Again was told "i have no idea" and called him a zebra amongst horses or some dumb analogy. Anyhow...they wanted us to pay to hospitalize him (thought they had no clue what was wrong)...I got fed up and was talking to my MIL...she found a vet about an hr away that had a show on Nat Geo and we decided to try him. He listened to us, explained ALL bloodwork in detail (no one told us a damn thing about any of it) and felt his abdomen...right away he wanted to do xrays. So, we did. By this time he is down to 86lbs, and has lost all muscle in his face, he looks like a skull w skin. End result...we found out he has a giant tumor in his abdomen and it's terminal. We also found out he is quite a bit older than we were told (we rescued him 2 years ago and was told he was 4 yrs old...so we assumed 6 yrs old now...he is actually more like 10). I am totally heartbroken over this. We all love this dog more than anything, we were told that the couple weeks of meds we have left will be more than enough bc he probably isn't going to have that much time :crybaby: I'm glad we know whats wrong...but it's one of the hardest things ever.
loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: Got some bad news :(

Postby patty » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:30 am

I'm so sorry to hear about Monty :teardrops: I remember your previous posts.

I will keep Monty in my prayers. I know whatever may come, he will be loved everyday. :hug:
patty
Forum Junky

Postby julie64 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:45 am

: I Sorry to hear this. Please give Monty a gentle hug from me. You and Monty are in my thoughts. :hug:
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby spammie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:01 am

I'm sorry to hear the news. Sending hugs from Missouri :hug:
spammie
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:17 am

I'm so sorry :(
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Libby » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:35 am

I'm so very sorry :(
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cherry » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:14 am

I am so sorry. :( It is horrible that your regular vet wasn't as helpful as he should be.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:51 pm

I'm disappointed it took so long to find it, but at least you have a name/thing now to be mad at.... Monty sounds like a special guy who has special people - I'm sure he knows that!!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby loye » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, it really means a lot, really. He has been the best dog I've had and he has been wonderful w/ everyone...especially the kids. I'm glad we were able to rescue him and let him live out his remaining years in a loving home instead of passed around and dumped :( Poor guy had a rough start. It is a little easier knowing now whats wrong...I was getting mad before bc everything I was told would help wasn't and it is so frustrating to be told no one has a clue whats going on. The last vet we saw was wonderful and I owe alot to him and helping us figure this out. Thank you again everyone
loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Murfins » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Sending lots of positive thoughts to Monty. :hug:
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Leslie H » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:00 pm

He's lucky that he's been able to spend these years with the love of you and your family.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Nichole » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:45 am

Leslie H wrote:He's lucky that he's been able to spend these years with the love of you and your family.

this. hug him tight and keep him comfortable. Thank you for loving him so much.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:40 am

Hugs and prayers! I'm so very sorry....
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:10 pm

I'm awfully sorry. :hug:
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Madeleinemom » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:15 pm

I wish you strength at this time and gentle hugs to you and Monty.
Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues