Kirkland dog food/heads up

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Kirkland dog food/heads up

Postby pblove » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:43 pm

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Re: Kirkland dog food/heads up

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Seems to be about CANED food. Whew - that scared me -- just bought a bag. I don't understand why people feed canned food anyway.... I just keep a can or two on hand for meds or to add to stuff going into a kong.
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:34 pm

I know a lot of people that have stopped feeding kibble and switched to can food and/or a home made cooked diet.(if they do not or cannot feed a raw diet)
dog nutritionist and vets have said feeding kibble is like eating a diet of over processed fast food your entire life and expecting to stay healthy.even the high priced, no grain kibble, it is over processed and not the healthy diet the companies lead us to believe
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shutterwolf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:47 pm

This also had me a bit worried as i use Kirkland lamb and rice kibble which was recommended to me by my vet tech friend. I actually was about to make a post today asking about Kirkland dog food since its coming time to get a new bag, and the price isn't as cheap as it used to be. its still a good deal (i think) but is there any other better options for kibble out there that are comparable in price? I pay 27 plus tax for a 40 pound bag right now and supposedly its made by Diamond foods.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:06 am

Kirkland is made by Diamond. It's TOTW in a different bag.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Adrianne » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:47 am

pblove wrote:I know a lot of people that have stopped feeding kibble and switched to can food and/or a home made cooked diet.(if they do not or cannot feed a raw diet)
dog nutritionist and vets have said feeding kibble is like eating a diet of over processed fast food your entire life and expecting to stay healthy.even the high priced, no grain kibble, it is over processed and not the healthy diet the companies lead us to believe

Unfortunately the canned has even more preservatives from what I understand.

Meh, I feed kibble and canned occasionally with a primary diet of THK and raw. I honestly don't know if that is saving my dogs lives or not. My parents continue to prove the health nuts wrong, like it or not. Aside from a dog that died of meningitis they've not lost a dog under 10 yet and their current two are 11 and 14, their oldest was 19.5, and although I used to ride them about what they feed (it was so bad my mom would hide her kibble bag in a closet when I came to visit) I finally gave up and figured they have some freaky magical touch no matter what they feed.

I feel better feeding better, I feel less paranoid, but honestly if their poop didn't smell so chemically on Natures Domain (Kirkland grain free - TOTW rebagged) I would probably still feed that.
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby Adrianne » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:50 am

Shutterwolf wrote: I pay 27 plus tax for a 40 pound bag right now and supposedly its made by Diamond foods.

Considering I just paid 50 dollars for a 30 lb bag of solid gold (on sale) I think you're making out pretty darn well. ;)
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby Sarah » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:22 am

Adrianne wrote:I feel better feeding better, I feel less paranoid, but honestly if their poop didn't smell so chemically on Natures Domain (Kirkland grain free - TOTW rebagged) I would probably still feed that.

I switched mine to the Natures Domain recently from TOTW, and fortunately for me, they're doing well on it.

Honestly, your parent's dogs are not the only ones I've heard of living long lives on crap diets. I think we sometimes make more of it than we need to. Dogs are a pretty adaptable species.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Shutterwolf » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:30 am

Adrianne wrote:
Shutterwolf wrote: I pay 27 plus tax for a 40 pound bag right now and supposedly its made by Diamond foods.

Considering I just paid 50 dollars for a 30 lb bag of solid gold (on sale) I think you're making out pretty darn well. ;)

Yikes. i got a bag of TOTW salmon i think it was, but it was only a partial bag (friends dog decided she didnt like it anymore) and i mixed it in with the bag of kirkland so shes been getting a blend for this round of food, and i was wondering if it was all that much better and worth switching to. guess ill probly just stick with kirkland for now.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby julie64 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:43 am

Honestly, your parent's dogs are not the only ones I've heard of living long lives on crap diets. I think we sometimes make more of it than we need to. Dogs are a pretty adaptable species.

I know alot of people like this. I'm ready to switch to alpo, maybe we would have less health problems here.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 am

I too know many a dog doing/did great on Pedigree and junk can foods. I got one 4 pound bag of puppy food and 15 cans of tripe and other meat can foods at the holistic dog food store on Sat, bill was $84.00, no treats, not one chew or toy. I went to another store for the chews and treats and spent another $60. plus, but I still prefer these foods over feeding store brands. :oops:
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Sarah » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:06 pm

pblove wrote:I too know many a dog doing/did great on Pedigree and junk can foods. I got one 4 pound bag of puppy food and 15 cans of tripe and other meat can foods at the holistic dog food store on Sat, bill was $84.00, no treats, not one chew or toy. I went to another store for the chews and treats and spent another $60. plus, but I still prefer these foods over feeding store brands. :oops:

Well yeah, and I'm not feeding crap foods, I'm feeding the Costco grain free. Which admittedly isn't top of the line, but it's well above the junk foods, and if I wasn't so broke, I'd probably be feeding something else. I decided Tess does better on grain free (doesn't seem to matter with the others), so I wanted to keep them on a grain free diet. (previously were eating a diet that contains rice). I've spend a lot of time studying and agonizing over food decisions.

Just because I think we may be making too much of it, doesn't mean I'm not going to continue making too much of it. lol
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby kornygerm » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:09 pm

pblove wrote:I too know many a dog doing/did great on Pedigree and junk can foods. I got one 4 pound bag of puppy food and 15 cans of tripe and other meat can foods at the holistic dog food store on Sat, bill was $84.00, no treats, not one chew or toy. I went to another store for the chews and treats and spent another $60. plus, but I still prefer these foods over feeding store brands. :oops:

I got dogs that have done well on pedigree and kibbles and bits, tried kirland dry food and it suit em well too, but unfortunately, the price tag has the last word..
kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby Sarah » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:01 pm

I want to add that this is Tess a couple months into the Nature's Domain (from TOTW):

My feeling is that as long as my dog looks like that, the food is probably okay for her.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Adrianne » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:30 pm

I totally agree, however, does your dogs poop have a strange (all-be-it faint) chemical smell?? Denis thinks I'm nuts but it makes me gag and none of the other feeds bother me. I think we're going to try their Turkey variety next (I always keep kibble on hand to use here and there) and see if it's just the salmon that bothers me.
Adrianne
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues