Need some advice...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Need some advice...

Postby elementbrds » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:25 pm

this question will probably be best answered by a woman, so bring on the suggestions ladies... okay so heres the deal, a few days ago my 8 month old pup got into the trash and chewed up / ate a bunch of stuff that was in the trash can.. one of the items being my girlfriend's Nuva Ring from last month (for those who dont know, it's a monthly contraceptive containing hormones), and my poor little pup has been feeling sick since then. I've been trying to avoid taking her to the vet, as she doesnt look deathly ill, and i'm already having a hard enough time getting by without a huge vet bill. so what can i do? has anyone run into this issue before? She doesnt look terrible, but she has been trying to throw up pretty regularly since this happened, and acting more sluggish than usual... also on our walks, she wants to spend most of her time eating grass (i'm assuming to make herself throw up because she feels sick). any helpful tips would be much appreciated.. thanks in advance!
elementbrds
Newborn Bully

Re: Need some advice...

Postby heartbullies » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 pm

I don't know about the hormones, but she might have a partial blockage. If she ate part of the ring, or any other non-digestible item, and it's stuck in her intestines, it will prevent food from passing and also can cause some of the tissue to die if there's not enough blood circulation.

Dogs can have blockages from plastic (dog toys and balls, gummy Nylabones, flip flops) or fabric (socks and underwear are the big culprits, but also their own bedding/blankets) or leather (soccer ball "skins," rawhide dog chews, etc.) and whatever else.

A quick x-ray should tell you, though an ultrasound d will reveal more (ny friend's dog ate part of a vinyl dog ball toy and it didn't show up on x-ray but DID on ultrasound).

I don't know about the hormones part. I would first piece together the trash to see if anything is "missing" like she actually ate it instead of just tearing it up.

Ugh. I hope you figure it out soon and she feels better. BTW I have applied for CareCredit and love it for situations like this. You can read info and apply at the CareCredit site.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby suzanne » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:58 pm

The Nuvaring could be the least of your dogs problems and I would take her to the vet immediately. It's already been a few days, she shouldn't be vomiting, and should have passed whatever she ate already. I would go to the vet asap. If she is blocked pieces of her intestines could be dying and she should be seen before further gut damage is done.

I definitely second trying care credit.
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:09 pm

Yep, your pup definitely needs a vet. The longer you wait in situations like this, the bigger the vet bill will be in the end.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby elementbrds » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:31 pm

she did throw up a large amount of purple vynil the other day i think maybe it could be that, but i also can't see it as bering a blockage because she took a huge #2 earlier and it was totally normal looking, with no blood or any irregularities. i thought the vynil was maybe a little ball that my nieces play with... idk, i guess i'm gonna have to just get her in to the vet and find out
elementbrds
Newborn Bully

Postby elementbrds » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:53 am

UPDATE!

Just figured I'd let those that posted know, that my baby Lucy turned out just fine. $2000, 1 series of liquid berium contrast fluid, a million X rays, and 1 night in the doggy hospital later... we were able to discover a few things, (1) the nuva-ring she "ate" i actually found chewed in a pile later on under my bed and was unrelated, (2) she did not have any blockage as the berium was able to fully pass through her system, and (3) she did in fact chew up some of my nieces vynil toys, along with some wood chips from a piece of lattace in the backyard, which irritated the heck out of her system, causing her to be unable to hold down any food for nearly a week which left her weak and cranky.

After she came home from the hospital she spent a couple days on a vew bland diet of cottage cheese, rice, and chicken, and she came around full bore :D Thanks for the suggestions everyone... sooooo glad to have my puppy back in good health, I've spent the last week and a half on the verge of heart failure from worry so this is a relief.
elementbrds
Newborn Bully

Postby suzanne » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:07 am

elementbrds wrote:UPDATE!

Just figured I'd let those that posted know, that my baby Lucy turned out just fine. $2000, 1 series of liquid berium contrast fluid, a million X rays, and 1 night in the doggy hospital later... we were able to discover a few things, (1) the nuva-ring she "ate" i actually found chewed in a pile later on under my bed and was unrelated, (2) she did not have any blockage as the berium was able to fully pass through her system, and (3) she did in fact chew up some of my nieces vynil toys, along with some wood chips from a piece of lattace in the backyard, which irritated the heck out of her system, causing her to be unable to hold down any food for nearly a week which left her weak and cranky.

After she came home from the hospital she spent a couple days on a vew bland diet of cottage cheese, rice, and chicken, and she came around full bore :D Thanks for the suggestions everyone... sooooo glad to have my puppy back in good health, I've spent the last week and a half on the verge of heart failure from worry so this is a relief.

Glad she's doing alright!!!!! Better safe than sorry even if it's painful on the wallet. On the plus side barium can be soothing to the tummy :yipee:

Thanks for keeping us posted!!!!
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues