Joint supplements homework, please?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Red » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:14 am

I am putting together a list of supplements for a dog who had two knee surgeries (ACL rupture), for the possible adopter.Beside what I give myself and want a consider a quality supplements to maintain joint function, I was wondering if some of you would be so kind to add links, names, and brands that you have tried and like, that I might not be aware of, so that she can have more options to learn about. Thanks in advance.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: Joint supplements homework, please?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:53 am

Prescription diet j/d is what I use for Buddy and now Nikki who has also had two ACL surgeries. It really does work near miracles and I don't have to use anything else.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby star_frances » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:21 am

My mom's eight year old dog was yelping in pain from sore joints when she first came here to live. Beside taking some much needed weight off of her, I give a glucosamine/msm supplement, fish oil, and vitamin e. I just buy the store brand from my local drug store (Rite Aid, in my case) because the consumer reports I have read say they test just as effective as the more expensive brands.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BabyReba » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:54 am

BabyReba
Regulator

Postby nsbullylover » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:00 am

I don't have a link right now because I'm in my phone, but I've used something from Wapiti Labs called "Mobility". I've had great results with it in both dogs and cats, and a friend of mine has a dog with hip and elbow displaysia that she's had great results with.
nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:15 am

I love InClover's Connection. It comes in powder and tablet form. I'm currently using the powder, since it has really high amounts of yucca in it, which is a great anti-inflammatory. The powder has more yucca per dose than the tablets, but comparable glucosamine and chondriotin levels.

I also like it because it has different herbals that help out with other things- for instance turmeric is a cancer fighter. It's really helped Riddle out with her elbow issues.

http://inclover.com/connectin_dogs.html
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:36 pm

I use Glycoflex II and salmon oil.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby heartbullies » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:38 pm

dogs4jen wrote:I use Glycoflex II and salmon oil.

Same here.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:58 pm

Turmeric is a great ani-inflammitory supplement.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby elegy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Currently using GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip and Joint supplement (Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, some other stuff thrown in for good measure) as well as Welactin omega fatty acids supplement for my "knee dog".

My other dogs get Glycoflex 1 and Welactin just for maintenance.

Dasuquin is another good choice.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Stormi » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Bioflex triple strength (no vitamin D) glucosamine tablets 2x daily. Available a rite aid drug store.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:39 pm

http://www.animalessentials.com/#products:71
Love this stuff! I don't currently have a dog that needs this, but we have been using this in combination with a glucosamine/condroition/msn supplement for the clinic cat's bad back and hip issues. He is doing better on just these than he ever did on pain meds.

Also, DMG can be a big help.
http://www.vitacost.com/Pet-Naturals-of-Vermont-Agility-DMG-Bone-Shaped-Chews-for-Dogs
If interested in trying anything on this site (they have a ton of dog supplements) pm me your email. I can send you a referral link and you get $10 to spend just to try their service. They ship fast too. I placed an order on Sunday and got it today.

Some info on DMG
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/dvms/dmg.html
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mtlu » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:11 pm

We've been using Liquid Health for a while now. I was getting various human-grade supplements before in pill-form but that was too much of a bother for the BF to add so this has been an easier option.
http://liquidhealthpets.com/k9-level-5000

We also use Pet Kelp http://www.petkelp.com/products.html (the skin and coat formula) because of the overall benefits of kelp in general. They have a glucosamine/chondroitin formula but since we're already adding Liquid Health, I use the skin and coat to supplement Molly's Omega-3-6 intake since fish oil messes up her anal glands.

I know this isn't joint-related but since I know who will be reading this, I also want to recommend local honey (Marshall Farms is available at a lot of local markets) for any possible environmental allergy issues. I don't think Zoey has any allergies but since SF area is a new environment for Zoey, she may go through an adjustment period up here and be affected by pollen - especially in the next few months which are typically very windy and lots of stuff gets blown around. I always start Molly on local honey around this time of year to prep for spring allergies as she seems to be mildly affected by them.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Glycoflex and Salmon Oil here too. I did just experiment with DMG this weekend too.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:08 am

Thanks for the help, everyone.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues