What are good bones?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

What are good bones?

Postby kjhawkeye1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:59 am

I want to get some bones for Scarlett to chew on but have been told to stay away from certain ones. Greenies are a no-go because they don't digest properly. Bones from the butcher are bad because they crack and splinter and can tear up her insides.

Has anyone else heard this? What bones are handed out in your homes? Thanks!!
kjhawkeye1
Newborn Bully

Re: What are good bones?

Postby starrlamia » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:43 am

bones from a butcher are fine. Some are edible and some are not. Weight bearing bones like marrow bones are one you can give, some people will not because there is a risk of teeth injury due to the hardness of the bone (i still give them, they are not edible but my dogs like chewing them). Rib bones are a good one (you can get them whole and they are pretty big) they are soft enough to be edible, any chicken or turkey bones, thats all i can think of right now lol

Bones are unsafe if they are cooked so make sure you give them raw. You could also look into antlers, they are safe and last quite a while but they are pricey and some dogs dont like them.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:33 pm

I don't give weight bearing bones like femurs - but I do give knuckle bones, which have some marrow and are soft enough to eat most of. I also give beef ribs(one at a time) Always raw, of course.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:40 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:I don't give weight bearing bones like femurs - but I do give knuckle bones, which have some marrow and are soft enough to eat most of. I also give beef ribs(one at a time) Always raw, of course.

Same here :thumbsup:
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:43 pm

There's risks of any chew if not supervised properly.
Buddy broke off two canine teeth chewing a weight bearing bone so I stopped using anything that was that hard. We also see a lot of pancreatitis with dogs who have been given those bones stuffed with fat.

I use rawhide which a lot of people don't like because it can cause blockages and doesn't always digest well.

But mostly I use nylabones, which I thought my dogs wouldn't touch but actually love, or frozen kongs. Occasionally I will give them a Himalayan dog chew and in special occasions I give bully sticks.

I definitely stay away from hooves because both my guys will swallow sharp pieces.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Does anyone know if the pancreas problems come from cooked fat, opposed to raw fat. They do act differently in the body.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:41 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:Does anyone know if the pancreas problems come from cooked fat, opposed to raw fat. They do act differently in the body.

Good question.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby MarMar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:46 pm

I believe both. I personally know dogs who have had pancreatitis from cooked fatty meals and raw fatty meals, although I have no science on this.
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues