Leaky Anals leading to an UTI?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Leaky Anals leading to an UTI?

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:33 pm

We've got an appt to take Flower in to the vet this week. It's pretty clear the UTI never quite cleared up.

BUT, it occurred to me that she's always had prolific & leaky anal glands. If she were to lick and transfer to her vulva could she be creating her own UTIs that way?

So do I need to then have her annals expressed often?
Any assistance would be welcome.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Re: Leaky Anals leading to an UTI?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Buddy had very slight urine incontinence that caused her to lick her vulva all the time, which led to three back to back UTI's. I would imagine it's the same for your situation if she's licking all the time.

Have you tried adding extra fibre to Flower's diet to help bulk up her stools and see if she can empty her glands naturally?

The other possibility is, of course, that the UTI was never fully cleared up in the first place. With Buddy, after her second UTI we did a urine culture to be sure we were using the right antibiotic.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:50 am

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Buddy had very slight urine incontinence that caused her to lick her vulva all the time, which led to three back to back UTI's. I would imagine it's the same for your situation if she's licking all the time.

Have you tried adding extra fibre to Flower's diet to help bulk up her stools and see if she can empty her glands naturally?

The other possibility is, of course, that the UTI was never fully cleared up in the first place. With Buddy, after her second UTI we did a urine culture to be sure we were using the right antibiotic.

Oh I'm sure the initial one never cleared up, we were to go in after a few weeks to test. But we have only made it 1/2 way there! So yes... that is part of it. I was just thinking the anals could have been part of the infection source but either way, she's got some killer anals! <wheh!>

She has always had an anal and leakiness issue, so it really could be either. I had been thinking about taking her in just for the anal issue, btu guess now it is time to cut bait and get them done on an ongoing issue.

I tell ya, I've watched her butt for years now, trying to see if the juice will flow. No dice. Capone has NO problem, Flower just does not have it.

Alright, to Cipro we go!
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:23 am

Yup, she sure could be causing it!

I often recommend wiping after going potty to help with the cleanliness back there and hopefully decrease infection risk.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Yup, she sure could be causing it!

I often recommend wiping after going potty to help with the cleanliness back there and hopefully decrease infection risk.

...you say it like it is going to be an easy thing lol
Getting a sample is like I'm blowing air up her hoo ha or something.

Can I use baby wipes? I typically have the ones without scents and lanolin etc.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:30 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:
Can I use baby wipes? I typically have the ones without scents and lanolin etc.

That should be just fine. The only way to find out if it helps is to try it out...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Urology back. Dr. said it was beautiful urine. Sheesh, it's her friggin butt. So now I've got to go in for a "cleaning". Apparently everyone in the house is aware of Flower's butt. *gross* I hate :mmm: anals :mmm:
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby heartbullies » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:07 pm

I express Booker's AGs at home-- usually in the tub during bath time so once every couple weeks/once a month. I use a couple sheets of paper towel as a shield.

I posted on here a long time ago bc he had extra active/leaky AGs-- at that time several posters commented that this is a common allergy symptom. I made some changes and his rump has returned to the normal level of stank one would expect from a dog's butt.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:41 pm

OH! well this would go right along with her random 'staph' infections. These lead to her having happy tail and chin and neck skin infections.

Does Booker get staph infections? what are the symptoms? Are you doing the baths as a method to prevent allergies? If so, any particular suggestions for the butt stuff?
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues