Heart Murmer questions

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Heart Murmer questions

Postby bethh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Otis is (was) a very healthy and happy 4 year old. Last week he split a toenail, I took him to our vet and she discovered a heart murmer. He has lost 10 lbs since his last visit about one year ago. I feel terrible for not noticing the weight loss. He looks slim, but is eating well. I'm taking him to a cardiologist tomorrow and wondering if anyone has experience with heart murmers? What might we expect in terms of tests and/or treatment? I'm very worried about him, hoping this is treatable.
bethh
Super Bully

Re: Heart Murmer questions

Postby MarMar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:01 pm

I am not an expert but did they say the grade of heart murmur? I had a cat who had a murmur discovered on pre-blood donor exam, they did a cardiac ultrasound and it was not serious, just brought on by stress so it did not affect his quality of life. I also had a very senior pit bull who had a terrible murmur as well as other heart issues, but for the 2.5 years I had her she did really well, albeit being on several medications for her CHF. That ultimately was not what led to her passing either.

Did the vet feel the weight loss was related to the murmur?
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby bethh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks! Vet doesn't know about the weight loss. She did say she thought the murmer was a 2 or a 3, but that the weight loss made it all the more important to get a thorough exam.
bethh
Super Bully

Postby MarMar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Well it's great you're going to a cardiologist, they will be able to give you all the answers you need. Good luck!
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Our oldest has a grade 2-3 murmur due to an arotic stenosis. She's also a very popular flyball dog. Our cardiologist prescribed some supplements, keeping her thin and regular strenuous exercise.

I'm sure that your cardiologist will be able to answer all of your questions! good luck.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:16 pm

A heart murmur is just a sound, it does not necessarily mean there is heart disease, nor does the "grade" or loudness of the murmur correlate with severity of disease.

The cardiologist will be able to ultrasound the heart, measure the size, the bloodflow, and determine if there are any abnormalities to be concerned with. As long as you aren't seeing any symptoms of difficult breathing or being tired, I wouldn't worry too much.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues