Is it worth it?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Is it worth it?

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Sun May 13, 2012 8:29 pm

As many of you know, Cody suffers from Renal failure. We had been managing it for the past couple years just fine, however it recently got worse to the point where it's affecting his appetite and he must go in for fluid therapy in order to make him feel better.

It came to mind for me to bring him to work with me at PetSmart. He would stay at the PetsHotel in a doggy suite - which is an enclosed room that very quiet in a less busy part of the hotel. That way I could ensure that he was eating and drinking properly without having to worry about whether or not my mom was giving him any nasties.

My only concern is that I have to get his vaccinations in order to do so. He's only got his rabies, since he's 17. In order to stay at the Petshotel, he needs his DPP and Bordetella. Would getting those extra vaccinations be harmful to him? Also, would taking him to a doggy suite be more stressful then staying at home? I'm trying to decide whether or not the benefits outweigh the risks. At most, he'd be at a PetsHotel for 8 hours, I would be able to feed, walk and play with him between my classes. I also like the fact we have a Banfield, so if something were to go wrong, I could take him right there and not have to worry about it.

what would you do in my case?
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Is it worth it?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Most boarding kennels will make exceptions for vaccines if your veterinarian will write them an "against medical advice" letter. I would ask about this first, and do the DHPP and kennel cough (intranasal) if its absolutely necessary only.

As for which will be more stressful, thats something only you will know, and you might have to try it to find out.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby AmberD » Mon May 14, 2012 7:43 pm

PetSmarts are not able to bend on corporate policy. A few times a year, we have to deal with a customer flipping out because we cannot groom their dog, who isn't able to receive the required rabies vaccine per their vet. Always a sensitive issue.

I know vaccines can take a toll on the body. One of my cats went into renal failure at under two years old after being given several vaccinations. The vets said they didn't think the vaccines did it, and maybe they didn't. But I get nervous about the idea of vaccinating a sick animal. Not a vet though, so it's purely my opinion.
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue May 15, 2012 4:05 pm

I went ahead and discussed it with my vet - who has a genuine love for my dog, so I know she wouldn't steer me wrong. She ended up giving him a portion of the dose instead of the whole dose so it wouldn't take a toll on his body. That way, she could say he had the vaccines in his body, but would keep him safe.

I'm going to take him to work with me this Friday and judge how to go ahead with it after. It's relatively short shift - only 6 hours.
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:04 pm

KittyNyanNyan wrote:I went ahead and discussed it with my vet - who has a genuine love for my dog, so I know she wouldn't steer me wrong. She ended up giving him a portion of the dose instead of the whole dose so it wouldn't take a toll on his body. That way, she could say he had the vaccines in his body, but would keep him safe.

Sorry Kitty, but that is absolutely the wrong thing to do. There isn't an immunologist anywhere that would recommend partial vaccination, and study after study has been done to determine the appropriate amount of vaccine to administer to produce immunity.

Now the paperwork says your dog is vaccinated, but chances are what he received was worthless. Maybe that was the goal, I don't know...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Wed May 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Could you do a titer instead?
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby pblove » Tue May 22, 2012 10:28 am

dogs4jen wrote:Could you do a titer instead?

x's 2
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues