Thin Coat

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Thin Coat

Postby Deuce » Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 am

My 11 month old pup seems to have an especially thin coat. He is black with white on his chest. His fur along his back is nice and thick but behind his ears, on his chest/neck and under arms are pretty thin. Behind his ears is super thin, like almost just peach fuzz. The vet said that the skin looks fine and not to worry about it. Is this normal with APBTs? Does seasonal shedding have anything to do with it? Anything I can do to help it get a little thicker?

I am feeding him Taste of the Wild, if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help.
Deuce
Newborn Bully

Thin Coat

Postby ChevellesMomma » Thu May 17, 2012 3:00 am

Pictures? Those are the spots where it is supposed to be thinner.
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Re: Thin Coat

Postby Deuce » Thu May 17, 2012 10:27 am

Here are a couple pictures

Deuce
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Thu May 17, 2012 10:41 am

Gees, that does look thin, especially in the last pic. Did your vet do a skin scraping to check for mange? Otherwise salmon oil is a good supplement for their skin and coat, that might be worth a try.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Curly_07 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:42 am

Curly Sue is the same color, and has the same bald/peach fuzz spots. I've seen many vets over the last 4.5 yrs about it and have been trying the adding of different oils and supplements to make more grow in. Nothing works, and all the vets say she is fine/normal. I've had a few skin scrapes done as well, with nothing show up. All the other pit bulls I've fostered and owned have thin/no hair on the stomach and arm pits, but none have been like this behind the ears and neck like Curly is.

Sorry, I have no real advice.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Deuce » Thu May 17, 2012 10:54 am

The vet didn't do a skin scraping, she said the skin underneath looks healthy so there isn't much I can do. I feel like it has been getting worse but I don't know if that is because it is getting warmer?

How exactly do you supplement with salmon oil?
Deuce
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:18 am

I give 3 pumps of salmon oil and 1 table spoon of coconut oil a day in one of her feelings. It's helped with the shedding and such, but she is still pretty thin haired/to no hair in those few spots. In the last year of doing this, its gotten a lil better behind the ears and on the neck, but nothing drastic. I also give a table spoon of local honey a day to her...hoping it helps with allergies.

After so many vets saying she is fine, its probably just genetics, I've learned to live with it.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby PitbullLover* » Sun May 20, 2012 6:54 am

I would go for some supplements for skin and hair, my girl has very thing coat, so thin in the winter time she gets so cold, i saw a huge difference when i began giving her fish oil and seaweed/kelp you can buy it online at some animal shops. If you really want something but it is expensive its called ''the missing link'' and it did wonders ;)
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Return to Health Issues