Artemis Dog Food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Artemis Dog Food

Postby Wesam » Wed May 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi All,

As some of you know I moved to a place in the world where good quality kibble is hard to find. All we have is RC, Euka, IAM's and all that other low end kibble (IMHO). After much MUCH months of research, I was able to find this British lady that supplies Artemis dry dog food. I researched it a bit and realized it was good quality kibble as per the ingredients listed in it. Ingredients list below:
http://www.artemiscompany.com/products_detail.asp?product=adult_dog

So I ordered it and it came home and guess what? Paris wouldn't eat ONE kibble from it. Besides the fact that I have a new useless bag of Artemis laying around my kitchen, I started researching all over again and found that Artemis has wet food. I tried a can and she LOVED IT. Again, it's pretty expensive and will be costing me at least $150 a month to feed her that but I have no problem doing that considering we have MUCH shedding problems ever since she's been eating the other stuff.

This is the link for Artemis' wet food ingredient list: http://www.artemiscompany.com/products_detail.asp?product=formula

According to what I know about dog food, this seems like premium food to me. Can someone verify that please?

And can someone explain the feeding structure that I should follow? One can fills up her whole bowl and from what I see on the website, it seems like 2 cans a day will not be enough (she eats twice a day). She is 40 pounds or so. I hope someone can help with this. Thanks guys.
Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Artemis Dog Food

Postby Enigma » Wed May 30, 2012 3:29 pm

Artemis is indeed a good quality food. It has been imported here a while ago and people are satisfied with it so far. I would try mixing canned with kibble if I were you :thumbsup:
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby mtlu » Wed May 30, 2012 7:36 pm

Haven't tried Artemis but I was also going to recommend mixing some of the kibble with the canned to see if she can be tricked into eating the kibble. If she accepts that, then maybe very slowly shift the portions of canned vs kibble to more kibble. Sometimes it's a matter of helping them get used to a new food.

There was another brand of food that we tried last year that is supposed to be really good too (and some people have switched to it recently due to the dog food recalls in the US) but Molly would not touch it. She's never been a picky eater so it was really surprising to see her refuse something (good thing it was a small bag).

Where are you located now, UAE? I recall that you moved but can't remember to where.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Wesam » Thu May 31, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for the responses.

mtlu, yes I am in the UAE, Dubai to be specific.

I think it makes sense to mix kibble with wet food. So given that she needs 3 cans a day if I am only feeding wet and 2 cups a day if I am only feeding dry, I will mix 1/2 to 3/4 of a can with 1 cup per feeding. Does this sound reasonable to you?

It sounds little, but Artemis is almost the same style as ZiwiPeak; the ones where you feed way less volume and get better nutritional results.

What do you guys think?
Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Artemis Dog Food

Postby mtlu » Thu May 31, 2012 5:25 pm

That sounds like a reasonable plan - I always keep a close eye for the first week when switching foods and look at Molly's body condition to know if it's too much or too little. Due to her restricted activity and the kibble we feed her now, she gets less than a cup/meal so what you plan doesn't sound too little. My guess is that you keep Paris in good shape so you can probably see it if she's gained or lost 1-2 pounds without having to weigh her - it's easier to tell by sight when your dog is already at their ideal, healthy weight :)
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Artemis Dog Food

Postby Wesam » Thu May 31, 2012 6:50 pm

Yes I think I'll do just that. I'll keep a close eye on her. I do keep her in good shape but the past months she's spent with my parents made her gain 8 pounds. My dad feeding her table scrap all day everyday and my mom putting more kibble than necessary. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to shave those pounds off. I want her back at 40lbs!
Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues