pink tooth ?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

pink tooth ?

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu May 31, 2012 7:30 pm

I know I don't look in Ruby's mouth as often as I should... we're playing tug right now and I noticed that one of her teeth looks pink - almost gum color. It's not the longest top K9(?) tooth but the half as long one to the inside (not a nibbly front tooth).

What might this mean? We're not really due for a vet visit soon and it's not bothering her... is this an emergency?
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Re: pink tooth ?

Postby Murfins » Thu May 31, 2012 8:12 pm

Could it be her gums are overgrowing the tooth? I can't remember the technical term for this.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu May 31, 2012 10:03 pm

No, I touched it and it's not overgrown gums... it's pinkish-brown. Sigh.........
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Thu May 31, 2012 11:17 pm

Found this - don't know how reliable the site is or anything like that.

"Initially the pulp becomes inflammed or bleeds. The result is a pink color of the tooth. This is often called pulpitis. Occasionally the pulpitis will resolve and the tooth returns to normal color. This however is very uncommon."

Via http://www.mypetsdentist.com/site/view/113063_DiscoloredTeeth.pml
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:13 am

Its pulpitis. Most of these teeth die and will eventually need extracted. Keep an eye on it and show your vet at the next scheduled visit.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:18 am

Well, darn.... thanks for the feedback. Off to read more about pulpitis and make and appointment. I haven't hit her with any baseball bats (as the link above suggests = trauma) so this is an interesting development.
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:22 pm

So, our Vet wasn't too worried - didn't want to do anything until/if ever it starts to bother her.... Also said there was no tartar - guess the raw meals are doing their job since I don't want to be a dog-toothbrush-er!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:36 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:So, our Vet wasn't too worried - didn't want to do anything until/if ever it starts to bother her.... Also said there was no tartar - guess the raw meals are doing their job since I don't want to be a dog-toothbrush-er!!

:thumbsup:
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues