Plop, plop, poop

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Plop, plop, poop

Postby suzanne » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 am

Has your vet ruled out IBD? Even do a trial of steroids just to see?

Also like someone else said fat intolerance or something like Pancreatic Insufficiency might be something to test for as well...
suzanne
Newborn Bully

Postby bethh » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:54 pm

I empathize :(
My jrt, Lily, had diarrhea (bloody often) for over 3 years - so many food experiments, so many vet visits. She was diagnosed with pancreatitis along with an a bowel disorder they couldn't really pin down. What works for her is pumpkin or sweet potatoes, organic grains such as steel cut oats or brown rice, low fat meat and green leafy veggies. I can also feed her Wellness when I don't have time to cook. She is 15 now and rarely has diarrhea. Hang in there, something will work soon.
bethh
Super Bully

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:18 pm

So the last thing I expected was poop in my SHOE. Yup, my shoe. Yesterday Capone had the WORST day ever. After we came back in from the initial getting home outing, he did not poop outside so I figured I'd just make sure he did on the walk. He did not make it that far. Drop drop plop plop and a big pile in my shoe and on my sweatshirt. sooooooooooo groossss!!!

So after that all poops have been watery. Ironic because yesterday the vet and I had a discussion about adding antibiotics and changing food. I'm feeling HORRIBLE because I could not get to the vet today. (today was horrible, just horrible) She was thinking we should also change food to something like Hill's E/N.
Well, I'm freaked about the Hill's food. I do not want any China ingredients if I can help it. (I know I sound crazy, but I'm really trying to feed better for them and me too)
Aside from E/N, can you recommend any foods that might help, and are no China ingredients?
Today I did call to find out about the Hill's ingredients, versus something like Acana or Orijin orhttp://www.annamaet.com/ etc. unfortunately that was as close as I got to the vet. So tomorrow I'll get the Rx and go from there.

We're also looking to do a super poop and/or blood panel on him. For those of you with poop problems, is there a special name of a test you did? She's looking it up at the moment, she does not see too many tummy explosions like we have.

Mooresmajestic wrote:
IloveBlu wrote:The fruitables brand canned pumpkin digestive supplement is awesome. Always helps Blu.

Love this one! I keep a couple cans on hand for whenever needed. It's ok for cats too if for some reason a cat would need it.

Good to know. Thanks

suzanne wrote:Has your vet ruled out IBD? Even do a trial of steroids just to see?
Also like someone else said fat intolerance or something like Pancreatic Insufficiency might be something to test for as well...

No not yet, we have not gone back for a visit, but that will be next on the list.

bethh wrote:I empathize :(
My jrt, Lily, had diarrhea (bloody often) for over 3 years - so many food experiments, so many vet visits. She was diagnosed with pancreatitis along with an a bowel disorder they couldn't really pin down. What works for her is pumpkin or sweet potatoes, organic grains such as steel cut oats or brown rice, low fat meat and green leafy veggies. I can also feed her Wellness when I don't have time to cook. She is 15 now and rarely has diarrhea. Hang in there, something will work soon.

That sounds awful. I REALLY hope my future 3 years do not include this, but if it does... hopefully we'll find a solution like you did.

THANK YOU ALL! KEEP THE INFO COMING. Poopy Please!
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Plop, plop, poop

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Idexx Real PCR Diarrhea Panel is what we use.

EN is made by Purina, not Hills. The Hilla gastro diet is i/d and they have also come out with an i/d low fat for dogs with pancreatitis. As for EN, It's what we put Buddy on after her recent bout of pancreatitis/HGE. I was happy with it, but I personally wouldn't feed Orijen/Acana so we would likely be looking at different things.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:28 pm

ok, do tell... why not Acana/Orijin?
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Plop, plop, poop

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Personal experience and then issues in relaying my concerns to Champion. That and I feel they are dishonest about their ingredients.

A veterinarian I met was asked to work for them but they couldn't answer any of her questions and she was horrified at her tour of the plant. So it's a personal bias based on personal experience.

But mostly, if there's a dog with a diagnosed medical condition, I'd prefer to see them on a diet that can aide that condition. But I work at a vet clinic so that almost certainly taints my view.

My own dogs have done better on Hills j/d, by-products, corn and all, than they ever did on any commercial foods I fed.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:45 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Personal experience and then issues in relaying my concerns to Champion. That and I feel they are dishonest about their ingredients. ...

Wow. well, that would do it. Yikes.

http://www.annamaet.com/
So far we're doing REALLY well on the new food AND it smells good too. I guess for what it's worth, if you compare the ingredient nutrition facts of it versus the Acana/Orijin etc. it is the same, but I'm liking the fact that it is made by a 'local' sourced everything & the store owner said it is the only food he carries that he can without a doubt say it has no ingredients from China. Love it! :inlove:

The first 24 hours there was no poop. Yup it totally freaked me out, but next day, poop. The poop within 24 more hours has now been a nicely formed soft serve bordering on 'normal-ish' poop hardness.
So poops have become formed and do not have a liquid-y poop. Thank goodness. So the food definitely has an impact. Tomorrow, we add the antibiotic for good measure.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Plop, plop, poop

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:58 pm

I'm a big believer in feeding what works for your dog.

Fingers crossed that this is the key for your boy!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 pm

If E/N works, it works. Although you can do a home cooked version of E/N if you are worried about ingredients. There is a recipe out there, its just really hard to search for it on my phone.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Timas Mom » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:05 pm

I find your comments regarding Champion hard to believe. You are getting information from someone else, so its not a personal experience. I am in the industry now and worked with vets before.

I have never had a problem getting my questions answered, they have been nothing but forth coming with their sources, and as a company are one of the few that make their own food and have never had a recall. They use local ingredients, nothing from china, and their plant is immaculate.
I sell Acana (dont think Orijen is appropriate for most dogs) and have never had an issue.

Every vet food I sold has had recalls that has killed pets or made them very ill. More than once. Hills, Purina, Royal Canin/Medical and eukanuba. Its actually pretty shameful.
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Plop, plop, poop

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:37 am

Timas Mom wrote:I find your comments regarding Champion hard to believe. You are getting information from someone else, so its not a personal experience. I am in the industry now and worked with vets before.

I have never had a problem getting my questions answered, they have been nothing but forth coming with their sources, and as a company are one of the few that make their own food and have never had a recall. They use local ingredients, nothing from china, and their plant is immaculate.
I sell Acana (dont think Orijen is appropriate for most dogs) and have never had an issue.

Every vet food I sold has had recalls that has killed pets or made them very ill. More than once. Hills, Purina, Royal Canin/Medical and eukanuba. Its actually pretty shameful.

Yes,
I know what you think of my opinion of Champion. You've said it several times before. Your opinion doesn't change my opinion.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:05 pm

just to change topics... I've been feeding the new food for about a weekend he was doing 'ok' but I messed up with his pills this week and forgot a dose of Sulfasalazine and then forgot it again the next morning! I AM SO MAD at me. So yesterday he started the diarrhea and today was starting to firm up. I'm glad this seems to be working but I'm disappointed in me :(

On another side, the food is a HIT! They want to eat more and more... alas mean mom will not let them have more until its time :)
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm glad you found something that helps! :)
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:05 pm

So far, fingers crossed, we're on our way to 'normal' poop. Some are stiffer than others, but 'mom' is in a rhythm of giving the pill despite power outage, excessive heat, and yard damage. EVEN with the horrible storm and the terrible noises, there was no diarrhea! Yeah!!!

He's doing well, no gas, and good color, stiffer poops. Keep your fingers crossed!
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shoshana » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:01 pm

That is excellent!!!!!!!!

We went thru a minor version of the poop wars when we first got Peanut. For Peanut it turns out that she has a problem with peanuts and nuts (I know peanuts are legumes). They make for horrible stinky gas and the runny poo. We also switched food till we got a good one for her.

Now she just gets 'excita-poo' when she has been in the car for a while or if she drinks too much water - as in being in the pool and drinking as she swims.
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues