raw pork liver

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

raw pork liver

Postby Trish APBT » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:41 pm

Guys i just wanna know is it ok to feed my dog raw pork liver? I usually give her raw chicken liver and gizzard but i never tried pork liver.. Others told me that pork liver is cheaper than chicken liver.. But i just dont know if its healthy or not..

Any advice guys?
Trish APBT
Newborn Bully

Re: raw pork liver

Postby FransterDoo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:57 pm

If your dog is sued to chicken liver, pork will be just fine. Too much can (and most of the time will) cause diarrhea so don't give them more than they are used to eating.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:41 am

Raw pork is one of the meats most likely to transmit disease, with trichonella and toxoplasmosis being top of what comes to mind.

Granted, trichinella is becoming extremely rare in today's confinement pork due to heavy use of antiparasitic medications, but its still best to know your risks vs. benefits in choosing any raw products to feed your pet.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Trish APBT » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks a lot guys.. i guess i'll stick with chicken liver..
Trish APBT
Newborn Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:47 am

Not to contradict MissKiwi (who is current on knowing her medical stuff :thumbsup: ) - but I DO feed raw pork and it's organs with minimal concerns - had to think a minute about feeding the brain, tho... eww-LOL (no pun intended) I'm not super worried about AMERICAN-grown pork but I also can't always easily tell when it's been pre-frozen (< I feel safest about that <). I'd really have to think about feeding WILD boar but if it's frozen for (3 weeks OR 3 months ???) it's supposed to kill parasites.

My mom's friend got a tapeworm segment lodged in her brain presumably from eating (undercooked) pork in another country --- that's scary!! ...runs offf to read about toxoplasmosis since I know NOTHING about it...
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:08 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:Not to contradict MissKiwi (who is current on knowing her medical stuff :thumbsup: ) - but I DO feed raw pork and it's organs with minimal concerns - had to think a minute about feeding the brain, tho... eww-LOL (no pun intended) I'm not super worried about AMERICAN-grown pork but I also can't always easily tell when it's been pre-frozen (< I feel safest about that <). I'd really have to think about feeding WILD boar but if it's frozen for (3 weeks OR 3 months ???) it's supposed to kill parasites.

My mom's friend got a tapeworm segment lodged in her brain presumably from eating (undercooked) pork in another country --- that's scary!! ...runs offf to read about toxoplasmosis since I know NOTHING about it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

will get you started.

Seriously, to the OP, you'll be fine feeding commercially raised pork liver. It you can find some from a producer with good husbandry like a non-confinement operation that does not feed their stock a bunch of chemicals that's even better.

For organs like liver - i go with whatever species I can get within my price point that is raise the best. SO like above: non-confinement and no Antibiotics.

Franny sez "Eat Moar Pork!"
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:12 pm

Pigs that have access to meat is what the problem is, right?

Pigs are ominivores and they LOVE meat. The tapeworms come from eating rodents and such, correct?
It would be mighty hard to keep rodents out of a warehouse - we can't even keep them out of bakeries and the like. :)

I was reading on a primal/paleo forum about some chick who was stating that she eats raw pork - but it's pastured pork raised in it's natural environment. She assumed it doesn't get parasites.

Sorry chicky - it's the opposite.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues