Coats and PJs......

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Coats and PJs......

Postby MissKitty » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:16 pm

So during the winter Apollo wears either a coat or his PJ's pretty much 24/7.
He is a heat seeker, he sleeps under the covers and will inhabit any patch of sunshine he can find (like today he jump up and sat on the coffee table to catch a tiny patch of sun).

It was 65 degrees F inside today and Apollo sat shivering and whining until I put his jacket on. Then he settled down.

Is this normal? Is it because he is used to having clothes on or could it be some health related problem?
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Coats and PJs......

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:41 pm

I've also noticed my dogs are uncomfortable when the temperatures are cooler. My dogs are more likely to sleep together or cuddled close to me when there's even a 2 degree difference in temperature. My dogs are also more likely to sit on the front seat in the car with me in the winter when I turn on the heated seats for them.

With the low body fat and short haircoat of these breeds, its not surprising that they need a little help staying warm.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby MissKitty » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks! I am glad to hear Apollo is normal :tongue:
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby LizIs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:36 am

Boss is notorious for doing the same thing. He will actually go to his sweater bin and nose it when he gets chilly. He gets happy and wiggly when I pull out a jacket for him.
LizIs
Newborn Bully

Postby Breezy833 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:07 pm

im looking into gettin a coat or sweater for the same reasons. They have short coats. The only thing that has stopped me thus far is that its not that cold yet, and our boy is dealing with little demodex and has a secondary zits on his body that pop, i wasnt sure if covering them is the best idea.

I havent checked with the vet yet in regards to a coat i'm just trying to keep his skin clean and dry.
Breezy833
Adolescent Bully

Postby Jazzy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Veronica usually winds up on the couch covered in a blankie. When it starts getting cooler, she will curl in a tight ball and feel cool to the touch so we get her fleecie and she either stretches out in it or curls up further in it and seems quite content.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Lucy will shiver and request a coat or sweater in the winter. She started wanting one about 3 years ago, I just figure her old lady body can't regulate temperature as well as she used to.

Vi just wants whatever Lucy gets. She is my little heater and only really needs a coat if we are training outside in the dead of winter. She has a light shirt for in the house to wear so she doesn't throw a fit when Lucy gets a sweater.

Sune wears a sweater in the winter because she needs one. Most of the time the snow is higher than she is tall! Even though she has the double coat of her Pom half, she has no body fat and likes to be Chihuahua warm.

I also keep the house at 64F at night (since it gets warm enough with 2 people, 3 dogs, and 2 cats all piled in bed), 66F when I am home (since the dogs will all pile up and snuggle), and 68F during the day when I'm gone (I keep it a bit higher when the dogs are separated since they can't snuggle) to save on the gas bill. Hey, if I can save a $100 a month (actual savings, I tested it) by us all wearing a sweater and cuddling up, I sure will!
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby highflyergirl19 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Ajax loves to snuggle in the winter and gets easiky chilled. I can perfectly fine in a tank too and long pants but Ajax will be trying to burrow deep into the covers. I tend to encourage the snuggles because he gives off crazy amounts of body heat!
highflyergirl19
Adolescent Bully

Postby Shoshana » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:23 pm

If it's 65F in the house Peanut will want her hoodie.

40F outside?

She will have monster zoomies without the hoodie....

She gets cold fast in the house. Right now it's 72F inside and she's off lookin for a warm spot.
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues