histiocytoma - how long do i wait before opting for surgery?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

histiocytoma - how long do i wait before opting for surgery?

Postby KanersHuman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:14 am

About 4 weeks ago i noticed a small red oval shaped mark on (nelle) my dogs leg. It looked almost like a burn mark. Initially i thought it might be from Kaner dragging her across the carpet causing a rug burn. When they play tug of war and nelle gets tired she will just lay down but not let go so he will slide her across the room sometimes.

After a week it started getting larger. We had a vet apt for something else so i asked about it. Vet said it looked like histiocytoma. He took a sample and looked at it while we waited. He said it might go away and it might need to be removed. He suggested we give it a few weeks before making a decision.

Today i noticed that its raised quite a bit and larger. Its about 1" at its widest point. Its raised nearly 1/8" in the center. It looks terrible.

Any advice on how long we should wait before getting this removed? Obviously i would like to avoid her having surgery for something that might go away on its own and the apx $500.00 vet bill isn't something im looking forward to. But...i don't want to keep waiting and have it continue to get larger or cause her more problems. Thanks.
KanersHuman
Adolescent Bully

Re: histiocytoma - how long do i wait before opting for surg

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:55 am

They generally go away on their own in about 3 months --- Ruby's followed that to the T and went a way. Her's tho was on her foot and 1/4 in or less in diameter.
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:40 pm

If its not bothering the dog, just watch it. If the dog is licking at it and annoyed, get it removed.

Here's some more reading material: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1676
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 am

Hi there. My Jack just had 4 growth removed on Monday, one sent to lab, and the others were fatty cysts and one skin tag. The one that looked "angry" because of scratching and dragging on the carpet was sent to lab and the result came back today as histiocytoma. I opted to have it removed immediately, because of the way it looked and it was starting to bother the dog.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby KanersHuman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Update. We decided to wait it out. Its pretty much gone now.

KanersHuman
Adolescent Bully

Postby CallSignOWL » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 pm

well thats good
CallSignOWL
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues